DPM kitbash - Mansard Roof

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by spitfire, Feb 13, 2004.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

While waiting for some parts on order for the Luncheonette, I'm starting a project that I've been thinking about for some time. First, a little background.

In the downtown area of Toronto that I am modelling, a very typical sight is 3-storey buildings with mansard roofs. There are no models made in this style, and although some of the German kits come close, they are just too European looking to accurately represent Toronto.

Here is one of many shots I have of the prototype to give the idea of what I'm going to try to achieve.

Attached Files:

2. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

So, I've started with some leftover DPM wall sections, and the Front St. Building kit. I like this kit, and thought long and hard before deciding to cut it to pieces. But I already have plenty of 2-storey buildings so....onto the chopping block it goes.

Attached Files:

3. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Carefully cutting off the cornice and side pillars. Sure wish I had a dremel!
  4. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Rats! Forgot the pic. Here it is

Attached Files:

5. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

I had this resin shingle material lying around. To be super accurate I would use hexagon shaped shingles, but this is something I'm doing while waiting for parts, so I'm not willing to wait to order yet another part. I think it will do just fine.

Cutting out the holes for the window was a major pain but I finally got it done. You can see the openings are not perfect. They will be covered by the window frames - I hope!

You can see that I have angled the frame slightly to compensate for the slight angle of the "roof".

Attached Files:

6. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Skipped the step where I cut down the DPM wall sections. Here they are assembled with the cornice and painted. The mansard roof will attach to the top and 2 storefronts which attach to the bottom. Since doing the Bon Accord custom storefront I am pretty confident I will be able to scratchbuild this part.

Attached Files:

7. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Ooohhhh, I just love it when somebody slices and dices!!:D :D
    Hobby shop owners around here used to look at me as if I were crazy, if I walked out with a plastic kit, and didn't get a new razor saw. I'm going to enjoy this one. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  8. pttom

pttom Member

Lookin good Val.:thumb:
  9. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

This is going to be another beauty Val
  10. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Window frames are now installed in the upper storey. I had to trim down the edges to get them to sit inside at the bottom. The upper part is not trimmed and sits outside, giving the needed angle.

Attached Files:

11. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

That's working out real well! Clever kitbash that will yield a unique structure. Very nice Val!
    Ralph
  12. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

Nice going Val....here in the Deep South we not get any structures that are North American orientated,only some Faller european kits,so it scratch building all the way.
    One day I will be doing an Urban scene and I will sure be looking at all your post on the buildings you have done, for inspiration.
    So please you and Robin keep them coming
  13. interurban

interurban Active Member

That is Fantastic Val! there are a few rows of this type in Hogtown on the Carlton Streetcar route dated 1875 if my memory serves me well.:wave:
  14. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks a lot guys! :D

I've made some progress on the storefronts. Typically the hardest part was deciding what kind of stores to have. I received a lot of good suggestions on the chat last night but, again typically, I went my own route. A major consideration for me is that this part of the city represents a transition from 2-storey buildings to the more downtown part and so certain businesses don't work. A barber shop, dry cleaner and fruit store make up the outer section to the right, a luncheonette, bank and 7-storey offices buildings are to the left. I finally settled on a drugstore for the retrofit, and I'm mulling over bookstore or music store for the other storefront.

I would still like to have a deli, a laundromat, hardware store, fabric store and a dime store - man - I need more real estate!!!

The drugstore front is scratchbuilt, the bookstore (or whatever) is what's left of the DPM kit. Check out the yellow acetate in the window of the drugstore - I thought that would be a neat touch. Next step will be to detail the windows.

Anyway, enough talk - here's the progress shot. :D :D

Val

Attached Files:

15. Matthyro

The drug store looks great Val.
    When it comes to a five and dime store I used to work in a Kresge store on St Clair near Lauder ave. The building will still be there but for what use I can't imagine
  16. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Got the "roof" section attached and am now working on the sides. Because this side will be visible it has to look realistic. Now that I've added an extra storey my side wall are too short, so they need an extra brick section. I added a strip of styrene to disguise the join as though it has a moldling strip.

Here's before the extra brick.

Attached Files:

17. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

And after.

Unfortunately that's all I can do tonight because I dropped the glue bottle on the floor and it smashed into a million pieces. :cry: :cry:

Attached Files:

18. pttom

pttom Member

Going to be really nice.:thumb:
  19. Matthyro

Well Val, you have been making good progress so breaking the glue bottle must mean it's time for a rest.
  20. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Took a little trip to Queen and Spadina (my old stomping grounds) to get some reference photos yesterday. Now I have answers to some of my questions, and also I see that these things are a lot more detailed than I realized.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had thought the shingles were octangonal throughout but as you can see there is only a band of that kind through the middle - the rest appear to be simple shakes. Of note (to me anyway :D ) is the metal siding on the last shot - a retrofit no doubt, and the fact that the side wall slopes back with the roof line.

Val