DPM kitbash - Mansard Roof

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
While waiting for some parts on order for the Luncheonette, I'm starting a project that I've been thinking about for some time. First, a little background.

In the downtown area of Toronto that I am modelling, a very typical sight is 3-storey buildings with mansard roofs. There are no models made in this style, and although some of the German kits come close, they are just too European looking to accurately represent Toronto.

Here is one of many shots I have of the prototype to give the idea of what I'm going to try to achieve.

Attachments

• storefront4.jpg
    storefront4.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 312

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
So, I've started with some leftover DPM wall sections, and the Front St. Building kit. I like this kit, and thought long and hard before deciding to cut it to pieces. But I already have plenty of 2-storey buildings so....onto the chopping block it goes.

Attachments

• mansard01.jpg
    mansard01.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 308

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I had this resin shingle material lying around. To be super accurate I would use hexagon shaped shingles, but this is something I'm doing while waiting for parts, so I'm not willing to wait to order yet another part. I think it will do just fine.

Cutting out the holes for the window was a major pain but I finally got it done. You can see the openings are not perfect. They will be covered by the window frames - I hope!

You can see that I have angled the frame slightly to compensate for the slight angle of the "roof".

Attachments

• mansard03.jpg
    mansard03.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 290

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Skipped the step where I cut down the DPM wall sections. Here they are assembled with the cornice and painted. The mansard roof will attach to the top and 2 storefronts which attach to the bottom. Since doing the Bon Accord custom storefront I am pretty confident I will be able to scratchbuild this part.

Attachments

• mansard04.jpg
    mansard04.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 286

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Ooohhhh, I just love it when somebody slices and dices!!:D :D
Hobby shop owners around here used to look at me as if I were crazy, if I walked out with a plastic kit, and didn't get a new razor saw. I'm going to enjoy this one. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Window frames are now installed in the upper storey. I had to trim down the edges to get them to sit inside at the bottom. The upper part is not trimmed and sits outside, giving the needed angle.

Attachments

• mansard05.jpg
    mansard05.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 252

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Nice going Val....here in the Deep South we not get any structures that are North American orientated,only some Faller european kits,so it scratch building all the way.
One day I will be doing an Urban scene and I will sure be looking at all your post on the buildings you have done, for inspiration.
So please you and Robin keep them coming

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks a lot guys! :D

I've made some progress on the storefronts. Typically the hardest part was deciding what kind of stores to have. I received a lot of good suggestions on the chat last night but, again typically, I went my own route. A major consideration for me is that this part of the city represents a transition from 2-storey buildings to the more downtown part and so certain businesses don't work. A barber shop, dry cleaner and fruit store make up the outer section to the right, a luncheonette, bank and 7-storey offices buildings are to the left. I finally settled on a drugstore for the retrofit, and I'm mulling over bookstore or music store for the other storefront.

I would still like to have a deli, a laundromat, hardware store, fabric store and a dime store - man - I need more real estate!!!

The drugstore front is scratchbuilt, the bookstore (or whatever) is what's left of the DPM kit. Check out the yellow acetate in the window of the drugstore - I thought that would be a neat touch. Next step will be to detail the windows.

Anyway, enough talk - here's the progress shot. :D :D

Val

Attachments

• mansard06.jpg
    mansard06.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 198

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
The drug store looks great Val.
When it comes to a five and dime store I used to work in a Kresge store on St Clair near Lauder ave. The building will still be there but for what use I can't imagine

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Got the "roof" section attached and am now working on the sides. Because this side will be visible it has to look realistic. Now that I've added an extra storey my side wall are too short, so they need an extra brick section. I added a strip of styrene to disguise the join as though it has a moldling strip.

Here's before the extra brick.

Attachments

• mansard07.jpg
    mansard07.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 117

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Took a little trip to Queen and Spadina (my old stomping grounds) to get some reference photos yesterday. Now I have answers to some of my questions, and also I see that these things are a lot more detailed than I realized.

mLR04.jpg

mLR07.jpg

mLR09.jpg

I had thought the shingles were octangonal throughout but as you can see there is only a band of that kind through the middle - the rest appear to be simple shakes. Of note (to me anyway :D ) is the metal siding on the last shot - a retrofit no doubt, and the fact that the side wall slopes back with the roof line.

Val