DPDT switch and turnout

patgin

Apr 5, 2006
Hi,

I have some DPDT momentary switches that will use to feed my Atlas turnout. Each switch has 6 leg, and each turnout has 3 wire (red, black and green).
How do I wire the switch?
Thanks

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Patgin:
I assume the black wire from the switch machine is the common return.
Take a black wire and a white wire from your power source. (they don't have to be black and white). The black wire goes to the black wire on the switch machine.
The white wire goes to the center terminal on one side of the DPDT switch. The red and green wires go to the other terminals on the same side.
Push the switch each way and see which way the turnout throws. Now mount it on the panel so that it's the way up you want.
I hope your switches are momentary. Anything permanent will do damage from cooking the switch machine to starting a fire.

And you have 3 spare terminals on the DPDT.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
I will give it a try.
First you don't need all three colors of the wires going to the switch.
Take the black wire( we will call it common) it will run from your power supply to your turn out motor. (Black wire) Now take the other power supply wire and take it to one of the center terminals of your switch.( NOTE you have a double pole switch so you will only use one side for the turnout control, the other half of the switch could be used for signal controls)
Now on the same side as you hooked the power from your power supply( the center terminal) you hook up the green on one side and the red on the other. When you move the switch lever from one side to the other it will power up turnout from one or the other, and it should move your turnout. If the lever on the switch does not match the position of your turn out just swap ther red and green wires.
Hope this helps

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Stay alert and be ready to turn off the power supply the first few times you throw the turnout, some switches weld themselves together due to the electrical arcing caused during disconnect. This is more a problem when using dc than ac to power the turnouts.