Douglas World Cruiser

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Zathros, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Alcides

Alcides Member

Hi John. I can see you're doing a great work in very interesting plane. I've it in my to-do list now I'm waiting for yours.

Seems you have a very detailed blueprint for this one, be careful few details is bad to many details could be very bad at a moment you can't stop adding detail :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Could you post pictures with less blank and more close to the model? I'd like to see some details.

Saludos
    Luis Alcides
  2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

These are as big as pictures I am able to post without hosting them somewhere else, unfortunately.

I worked on this today and I found myself doing everything over. Just trying to get it as close as I can, so when I print it out I don't have to adjust to much. The prints are detailed but they don't tell you how the cloth was covered on the skin so it will have an accurate shape but I got burned out on this today! The fuselage, the bulk of it is done. Just have to finish the mounting of the rudder to the frame. Only parts where the frame is visible will be used. I am still wondering on scale. I want to make it a healthy size. Maybe a 20" wingspan or so. It could be sized down easier that way. wall1

Attached Files:

3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Starting to work on the floats. Working slowly, just making sure every part unfolds along the way. The intention is that the fuselage will only fave framing where exposed, (in the cockpit, up into the engine, I do wish to make the engine for this. I would like to make a frame only model, that would take a lot of work. Not sure about that. The interchangeability of the floats and wheels, and the ability to have the wings fold back is an option I will be including. In the attached pictures, the areas of wings that "hit" each other, will have removable sections, as the real craft did. :)

Attached Files:

• R13.jpg
      R13.jpg
      File size:
      44.5 KB
      Views:
    • ST3.jpg
      ST3.jpg
      File size:
      31.4 KB
      Views:
    • R14.jpg
      R14.jpg
      File size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
  4. anthony344

anthony344 Member

She is coming along beautifully.:thumb: , are you going to make a two pilot for this Douglas or with out.
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Nor sure what you mean? This craft had two pilots. I won't be making figurines, if that is what you mean. Not too good at that. Both cockpits are there. :)
  6. anthony344

anthony344 Member

Yeh that what i mean figurines , well that's ok if your not good at making figurine for it. Still great that you are going to release it as a kit, i can't wait to build it.:wave:
  7. lehcyfer

lehcyfer Member

8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Wrong decade, but I'll be happy just to finish the model!! :)
  9. lehcyfer

lehcyfer Member

Tirick can easily make a repaint :)
  10. Wad_Cutter

Wad_Cutter Member

[FONT=&quot]I saw the two marine racers(Macchi MC.72 and Curtiss R3C-2)but I can’t read the language and when I clicked on the English tap at the top of the page I lose the link??? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Supermarine Spitfire would be a dream of mine come true. I enjoy IL-2 and enjoy flying the Spitfires. Zathros you kill me. Here I am struggling with a Piper Cub and you guys are do starch builds. What I would give for have your smarts. I’m real sorry I stopped building plastic models when I was a kid. Not that I’m an old buffalo fart it’s hard as hell to understand the modeling that goes into card stock modeling but this is something I just can’t sit down and walk away from. I’m hooked on this hobby. But I have to say to you master builders, you blow me away. Wc.[/FONT]
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Use this link, it is the same page. If you copy and paste the web address into Google Translate, it will automatically translate the whole webpage. I would recommend the Lotus Europa model. it is one of my favorites and will amaze you with the shapes you can form from paper. The Macchi MC.72 and Curtiss R3C-2, are two models I built years ago. They are excellent models. Of very high quality. All the models on that page would provide much experience in this Hobby. They are all excellent. I am not a master builder though. Not even close.

http://translate.google.com/transla...ttp://www8.wind.ne.jp/takumi/s07.html&act=url
  12. Wojtee

Wojtee Member

I like this thread. Don´t know much about the plane, but it is interesting to see the process of its creation. It seems in fact very similar to the real thing :)
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I am over designing the model, but it is so I can subtract what is necessary to make a convincing one. I worked in the aerospace industry for many years, that is where my experience comes from, but I am used to making objects out of aluminum, titanium, and steel. Very different than paper.

I was working on it last night, I am working on the float attachments. Very slow progress. I have different sets of line drawings, and there is not a decisive match so some guessing is taking place. :)
  14. anthony344

anthony344 Member

Nice thanks for posting it lehcyfer:thumb:, this just give me an idea? it would be good for my R/C planes & solving weight problems. Build a paper WWII figurine Pilot model to sit in the cockpit area that is very light in weight. not like the ones you buy in the hobby shop that weighs like 35gms or 80gms or higher in those pilots.

Thanks again lehcyfer for those reference.:wave:
  15. anthony344

anthony344 Member

Cool john cannot wait to see the update on the float attachment:thumb:.

More pics , more pics , more pics.:p oh bummer there goes my sticky finger stuck to the keyboard again.:p:rofl: don't worry i'm being silly.:mrgreen:
    Ooh this is what i like seeing it really fires me up that i want to start finishing off my Top Flite spitfire or start flying my other planes.:cool:
  16. sakrison

sakrison Member

I'm looking forward to the model. Your computer graphics, incorporating 2 and 3 dimensional data, are fascinating and works of art in themselves.
    --David
  17. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Thanks Dave, the data you have supplied me with is invaluable! I still think a big one should be made for the E.A.A.. I have a 13 x 19 + in length printer, so really length is not an issue. I think when I get comfortable enough to start working on the fuselage, then I'll make a final decision on the scale. It is always easier to scale down than scale up.
  18. sakrison

sakrison Member

I'm hoping for at least 1/33. I suppose I could build it at 1/24 for the museum, if I used balsa for formers basswood for spars.
    1/16? Hmm.hamr
  19. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I was thinking 1/24, do you have the ability to go to 1/16? It would be just as easy to make it for both to be honest. The one that is being restored has the metal tubular section being welded as opposed to being "bolted" together. I am thinking making that integral frame part, that goes into the bottom wings, and acts as a cockpit frame, and main support for the landing gear, as a glued together structure would be a lot easier than trying to make miniature flange ends. This would simulate the welding of the tube ends like on the restoration. I am working on this part now. If I go bigger, it almost cries out for accuracy, but would make this a difficult model to design and assemble???
  20. voltron5

voltron5 Member

Been following this one since the day you started it. I have downloaded the Rhino trial in the past, opened it, looked around, nope! Too complicated for me! Lol I'm jealous of you Rhino guys that make it look easy.:mrgreen: