Double slip?

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Cid, A doubleslip is a pair of turnouts which are arrainged in such a way as to appear as a crossing. There are two sets of points with god knows how many frogs. Primarily used by prototype roads in situations where space is at a real premium, such as throats leading into passenger terminals.

Gary

Thanx, guys
That is quite an arrangment. It sure could compact a layout!! I think i'll wait until my track skills are farther along before I try that
one. I think it's the ideal demo for the matrix idea, setting a route with one pusbutton!!
While I'm here, is there a standard clearance distance from the rail to trackside equipment, specifically a switchstand?? What's the maximum width for a protoype loco? I suppose it has changed over the years, and by company. I'm trying to stick to pre-war 20th century, maybe 1900-1930? but I'm not nailing it down closer than that. As I'm sure you know, it's somewhat of a challenge finding the sources to correctly identify compatible road names, equipment, etc. I'm trying to get my tax dollars' worth out of my local library.
Thanks again,
Cid:) :) :)

Hey Drew,
You know what they say: if you haven't read it, it's still news. So most things about this hobby are still news to me!! I saved those tables in a Word file for future ref. I'm still hunting!!

A post from Trainboard.com:
"at a railroad museum, there was a large scale model of a steam locomotive: two sets of drive wheels with the cylinders between the sets of drive wheels (cylinders were back-to-back)
ooOOO cc OOOoo--tender
c=cylinder
Were there steam locos with this arrangement?"

Was this guy dreaming or is there really a 4-6-6-4 articulated design with cyl's back-to-back?? I haven't found any pics of one yet. Not that I need to know, but........?
It's getting warmer in Mississippi
:cool: :cool:

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Originally posted by cidchase
Hey Drew,
You know what they say: if you haven't read it, it's still news. So most things about this hobby are still news to me!! I saved those tables in a Word file for future ref. I'm still hunting!!

I was just amazed at the info that is at that site!!! Makes me wonder who has time for posting that, let alone reading it. And yes, I printed a lot of it out myself;) ;)

Drew

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
ooOOO cc OOOoo--tender
I replied to that post, saying it must be a Challenger, but missed the bit on the cylinder arrangement :eek: ! There was a later reply saying it must be a foreign (oops - non US for this forum) arrangement, possibly South African.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Double Slip

I've put in a double slip. Wiring the electro frog slip is a bit of a doozie, and takes a bit of understanding. Once you've got it right though, it's fine. I used DPDT switches attached to the turnout motors to get the auto-polarity on the frogs correct, and, of course appropriate insulation of the frogs from the lead-in rails etc.