Double Crossover issues

SteveInBama

Jan 19, 2007
Madison/Huntsville AL
Thanks all ,
Located a Shinohara HO ~$45 ( apparently like Santa Fe Jack above). It is about 20" long but HO Code 83 - not sure what I will need to do if anyting with Atlas Code 100 ? Also if remote DCC/Digitrax will work with a snap remote?
Comments anyone?

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Lucky to have found it..!! I understand there are special railjoiners that'll lift your code 83 to the height of the 100. I would presume you'd need to shim the code 83 turnout so it won't sag in the center.
Good luck..!!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Steve: I haven't worked with code 83, but I do have 100 and 75 on my layout. If you can't find the special joiners, you may be able to make a transition from code 100 joiners. I put them onto the code 100 rail and flatten the outer half with pliers. Then solder the smaller rail onto the flat section so it's level with the other rail (and lines up on the inside edge). Test that it's flattened and low enough before soldering. You might want to use a small section of plain track for this rather than soldering to your expensive double crossover. There's no telling about shimming the track afterwards as there are no standards for tie height.

SteveInBama

Jan 19, 2007
Madison/Huntsville AL
Thanks David, By "low enough" I think you mean even/smooth at the top of the rail where the two types meet? (after mod/crimp of the rail joiners)

Sounds like this combo of code 83 with code 100 track will be considerable trial and error.
Thanks for the guidelines.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Steve: even with Peco's code 75 and code 100, one track needs shimming. I found two sheets of very thin card worked -- one of them twice as long as the other.
And I have pictures of prototype rail joiners joining 2 sizes of rail. CN has a siding where the mainline has 4-bolt fishplates and the siding has 6 bolt fishplates on smaller rail; the transition has 5-bolt fishplates!

SteveInBama

Jan 19, 2007
Madison/Huntsville AL
Cid,
The distiance, center line to center line is 2 inches. I ordered the double crossover - in stock - from The Engine Tender as Shinohara track part number 669 - 112, - description " cd 100 #6 dbl crossover ". It will be a while before I attempt to have it working....

Steve