Dornier Do-335

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by eric_son, Nov 22, 2007.

1. eric_son

eric_son Member

Hi Tino,

Thanks for the link! The pictures of the completed model were very helpful. :)

Cheers!

Eric
  2. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

i hit a snag when building the gun ports too the parts that go underneath could do with being a little longer i got the thing about 90%done before i gave up on it the reson i scrapped mine was nothing to do with design it was to do with printing i used this horrible card that kept shedding ink everwere and the model was looking filthy :cry:
  3. eric_son

eric_son Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Same here. I attached the parts 4E under the root of the gun ports. Then when I was finally going to attach the gun, I realized my mistake. But by then, the glue had set. Fortunately, I was able to salvage the gun portion of the fuselage section by carefully carving out the part that I glued on incorrectly. But this destroyed the pair of parts 4E. (Incidentally... I don't know where to place 4E. I couldn't find it in the assembly diagram. Or am I just too sleepy?)

[​IMG]
    This is what I got before I realized that it was already 1AM and my eyes were all dried up.

[​IMG]
    Dry fitting... :) Hmm.... The guns seem to point to the edge of the engine cowling. :eek:
  4. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

5. eric_son

eric_son Member

Hehehe... I attached the wrong picture for the dry fit. And for some reason, the EDIT function of this site doesn't seem to work with FireFox. I had to shutdown my Ubuntu and boot to Windows to use IE just to edit my post.
    Yep, I based my assembly on the pictures from the Do335 page. :)
  6. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

must have been cutting it fine, the bullets zipping across the cowling with a few mill to spare
  7. eric_son

eric_son Member

I was not able to do any work on the Pfeil over the weekend. My 4 year old nephew came over to visit. I had to hide all my completed works, and I had to carefully un-deploy my makeshift workshop in preparation for the coming of the 8th Air Force!

Heaven forbid! I didn't have any box to hide my completed aircraft in..so I had to put them on a high shelf. The shelf didn't have enough space either. The wingtip of my Hornisse stuck out from the edge of the shelf and caught the attention of my nephew. A lone Hornisse against the onslaught of the Mighty 8th...

Anyway, after an 8 hour non-stop attack from the Mighty 8th...err...my nephew, I spent the rest of the weekend dead tired and almost bed ridden -- recovering from fatigue.

After re-deploying my makeshift workshop, I resumed work on the Pfeil.

[​IMG]
    Here are the parts of the cockpit waiting to be put together.

[​IMG]
    Here's the cockpit almost done. I stopped short of sticking the instrument panel. The assembly diagram does not show the exact position where to attach place the instrument panel. :curse:
    I guess I need to partially assemble the segment of the fuselage where the cockpit will be placed to know where to position the instrument panel.
  8. eric_son

eric_son Member

[​IMG]
    I'm almost done with the cockpit segment of the fuselage. Even during dry fitting, I didn't know exactly where to position the instrument panel. As a last resort, I only glued the instrument panel after gluing the cockpit part onto the fuselage segment.

[​IMG]
    You guys where right about the undercarriage part that doesn't fit! Before I encountered this part, I thought that the warnings you've been giving me were minor stuff like partially sanding the edge of the non-fitting part. But as you can see in the picture above, I had to remove moderate chunks of cardboard.
    Anyway, I'm not sure if my adjustments were correct, so I'll didn't glue the former yet. I'll have to complete the other parts that go with this undercarriage section first.

[​IMG]
    Dry fitting the cockpit section of the fuselage with the previous one I've completed. Looks good so far. :mrgreen:
  9. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Looks very nice - good job.
  10. eric_son

eric_son Member

I've proceeded with assembling another segment of the fuselage. I've encountered more parts that don't fit.

[​IMG]
    Both formers for this segment of the fuselage were too small! I decided against padding the edges of the formers -- I didn't want to risk the paddings causing any deformities.

[​IMG]
    Now, the rear wall of the cockpit is grossly misaligned! I don't think the canopy will be able to hide this. I'll have to deal with this soon. In the mean time, I'll leave it as is.

[​IMG]
    Just dry fitting. :mrgreen: Oh boy... this model is big! I'm now getting a bit worried on where I'll eventually store this baby when I finally finish it.
  11. eric_son

eric_son Member

I was eager to get home from work to resume work on the model. I was even expecting to complete another section of the fuselage.

But that was not going to happen. :cry:

[​IMG]
    The part which lines the undercarriage housing also has a ridiculous fitting problem. Like the former that I had to modify, this part also needs some cutting to make it fit.

I was really annoyed at this point that I stopped working and decided to cool off by watching TV.

[​IMG]
    Here's how the undercarriage housing looks like with the front adjacent fuselage segment finally assembled. There's a slight bottleneck/hourglass like distortion at the former.

All that trouble because of a fuselage segment former. :curse:
  12. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Way to muscle through! And I love seeing the documentation of the fixes. I'm not sure I'll ever build this particular kit, but for anybody who does your pictures and explanations would help a ton.
  13. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

i wish i had kept mine now it would have helped alot:cry: i completely cut the two "prongs"off that former i didnt have the formers being to lose problem but i was using two sheets of 190gsm laminated together

i completed everything but the wings so i cant give any heads up on those its worth it it really does look inpressive:thumb:i admire your paitence
  14. eric_son

eric_son Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement. :)
    Now I really want to complete this model!

RE: Cutting off the prongs on the fuselage former.
    That was my first plan. Unfortunately, I already glued the former onto the fuselage section. Hence cutting them off was no longer an option for me.
    Being able to cut off those prongs would have prevented the bottleneck/hourglass like deformity.

But ultimately, if I were to do a second build on this model, I'd probably modify the prongs on that former to look like this:
    [​IMG]
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Expect some more problems with the rear area around the lower air intake............ This was a booger for me.

All in all, yours looks pretty dang good!:thumb:

john
  16. eric_son

eric_son Member

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Unfortunately, I don't think I can do any build work this weekend. The 8th Air Force (...err...my nephew) is once again planning to come for a visit. I'll have to make safe my workshop.
  17. eric_son

eric_son Member

Tonight, I was able to work on the front engine's supercharger intakes.

[​IMG]
    Assembly of the intake's parts were pretty straightforward. Fit was good too.

[​IMG]
    This is where good things come to an end. Hehehe.
    The intake's mounting position spans two segments of the fuselage. The intake was designed to be mounted on a flat surface. Unfortunately, the fuselage has a mild curve or angle where the two segments meet. I must have spent an hour trying to massage the cardboard of the intake to 'morph' it enough so that it will fit cleanly onto the fuselage. In the end, I had to significantly trim portions from the intake's mounting area to make it fit the contour of the fuselage.

[​IMG]
    All done!

The mounting point of the rear engine's supercharger intake is luckily situated in just a single segment of the fuselage. Hopefully, I won't have to make any aggressive adjustments for that.
  18. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

massage the cardbord lol :thumb:
  19. eric_son

eric_son Member

Heeding the warning about the lower intake assembly, I proceeded slowly and cautiously on this section of the fuselage.

[​IMG]
    First, I assemble the lower intake section. As you can see in the picture, the intake's former is again too small. Good thing I did some dry fitting. This allowed me tighten up the gap.

[​IMG]
    Still more undersized formers.... :curse:

[​IMG]
    Here you see the three parts that comprise the fuselage segment with the lower air intake.

[​IMG]
    Segment done! The section indicated by the red arrow is a gaping hole caused by a couple of missing glue tabs. I added my own glue tabs to patch up those holes.
    Bowdenja, you were right about the lower air intake. It was a big pain to assemble. I had to use more than the usual amount of glue to slow down the dry time and allow me to slide and massage the parts around to force them to fit.

[​IMG]
    Inside shot of the fuselage segment. Damn! In all the excitement of assembling the lower intake, I completely forgot about that former (part G). Oh well... with all that glue I used, by the time it dries, it will probably be hard as leather. Hehehe..

[​IMG]
    Finally....here's a shot of the fuselage so far.
    So far so good! I can't wait to finish the tail section and start working on the wings! :mrgreen:
  20. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Despite all the issues the model is looking very nice!

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!