Don't waste your time on this......

Conrail

I'm not sure if this would be the correct forum to post this but if it's not, moderator please feel free to move it to the correct forum. I posted it here because it's an HO piece.

This thing is junk! I ordered the Helljan 188' Trestle bridge (#174) and I don't think I could roll a Tyco box car across this thing without it falling down. Very disapointing. I was making my own trestles from Basswood and Balsa and thought it might just be easier to purchase a nice trestle kit. Ha ha. You can see the comparison below.This thing is thin and flimsy! I guess the saying is true..."if you want something done right.... ya gotta do it yourself". It looks nothing like the picture on the box either. Walthers actually sells an "N" scale trestle bridge with the same picture on the front of the box as this one... hmmmm.

Trestleversus.jpg

mcjaco

I had the same issues with the Heljan turntable. It went together poorly and, doesn't spin freely. I'm glad I bought it at cost while working for a hobby shop, otherwise I'd be PO'ed! :curse:

Now if I could afford the new Walthers one.....:cool:

Conrail

My wife is a lil P.O.ed but I think it's hilarious!! :D It's almost like a "HA! HA! We got you..SSSSUCKAAA!!!!". I mean this thing is so thin and unrealistic it's just plain funny. Thats all I can say. Oh, that and I'll never order another one of their products again... but I'll take this one for the team. They must have seen me comming because I paid $27.00 (before S&H) and they shipped it with a $19.98 price tag still on it! :p I just keep looking at laying on the floor and chuckle about it. I just can't believe they are SERIOUS! I know I wouldnt roll my $135.00+ Loco's over that bridge! Ha hah ha!

Conrail

Hey brakie. Hows things in Bucyrus? I have relatives up there on Walnut street across from the Swifty gas station and behind The Police station. Actually I have Alot of relatives up there and a few in Marion. I'm in Columbus.
Loved that car show this year. Nice the way they block off the road so they can cruise the strip.

brakie

CR,All is well here..However this coming weekend is the "Bratwurst Festival" so things will become crazy for 3 days.At the T&OC station they are going to have a farmers market.

Ever visit the Bucyrus Model Railroad Club?

Next time you're in town and have some spare time let me know and we will have a sit down and chat about trains.

BTW..I was born and raised in Columbus. :D

Conrail

I may have been to the Model railroad club. If its been around awhile. My Granfather who's model train items where passed along to me was from Bucyrus and Ive been all over there at one time or another. He retired from Conrail. My other grandfather retired from C&O... I don't think it was CSX. My father and most of my uncles are still working for CSX. Trains, trains, trains! Odd thing though. I really didnt become interested so much until these items where passes along to me.

brakie

CR,The club is located at the fair grounds and meets once a month..Also its open during the fair.

KCS

Always remember, when your trains cross a bridge, even if your riding one, that it was built by the lowest bidder. :D

Conrail

KCS said:
Always remember, when your trains cross a bridge, even if your riding one, that it was built by the lowest bidder. :D

As is just about everything that is a contract job. This bridge however....... I don't think it could be worse if it was free!! The bents are so thin I wouldn't risk running a "Z" scale Loco across it! Plus they are totally unrealistic. There is no texture at all (completely smooth) and the bents are not nearly true to the prototype at least as far as I have seen. I have never actually seen a bent with so little workmanship. But since the layout of the bridge is the same style I want. I'm just going to make all the pieces from basswood and finish scratch building my own bents. I will salvage the ladders, refuge platforms and waters barrels to be used on my own bridge.

Conrail

brakie said:
CR,The club is located at the fair grounds and meets once a month..Also its open during the fair.

I may make it up for the festival but doubt I would have any spare time. By the time I make all the rounds to visit family, Id have time for a Brat and a beer and then have to head out. I do however make up there at least once a month to vist my grandfathers grave and clean it up a bit for him. Maybe we can get together one of those weekends.

an

Conrail said:
The bents are so thin I wouldn't risk running a "Z" scale Loco across it! Plus they are totally unrealistic. There is no texture at all (completely smooth) and the bents are not nearly true to the prototype at least as far as I have seen. I have never actually seen a bent with so little workmanship...
I built one from a similar kit. That's it in the background. The "timbers" in my kit seem a little bigger than those in your pic. Mine were also smooth so I scraped them up with a razor saw blade. I painted them rail brown and applied a heavy india ink wash. They actually turned out pretty well and the whole thing doesn't look too bad, especially being in the background. It is actually quite sturdy once it is all glued together. I painted the bent first and then glued it. If I built another one I'd glue first and then paint.
Doc
acu.jpg

tweet469

I think you have the right idea. Just replace the smaller parts with sturdier stuff and use teh details. I make my trestle piles from 1/8" wooden dowel. A 36" stick sells for 29 cents at a local hardware store. 1/8" scales out to almost 11" in HO I use .035" X .175" coffee stirrers I found at Kroger for cross braces and stringers.

babydot94513

Member in training
Conrail, thanks for sharing your experience with this particular product.

While I have no need buy a trestle it is nice to find people who are willing to give an honest product review so we can all make an educated decision on whether to purchase or not.

JD

Conrail said:
I'm not sure if this would be the correct forum to post this but if it's not, moderator please feel free to move it to the correct forum. I posted it here because it's an HO piece.

This thing is junk! I ordered the Helljan 188' Trestle bridge (#174) and I don't think I could roll a Tyco box car across this thing without it falling down. Very disapointing. I was making my own trestles from Basswood and Balsa and thought it might just be easier to purchase a nice trestle kit. Ha ha. You can see the comparison below.This thing is thin and flimsy!

Conrail

Just a heads up. I would hate to see someone make the same mistake I did. I didn't sugar coat this either. If I thought that this particular item could be made to look even remotely realistic I would use it. (I'm not in to wasting money) But it's just not any where close to any prototype I have ever seen pictures of. To be honest, it wouldn't need to be a perfect replica or superbly detailed kit in order for me to use it, (I have several not so great pieces) but on top of not being both of those things, it is just way to thin. Honestly, I just did a rough measurement and the ties on my HO track are just a hair larger (thicker) than the beams used on the bents. Now while it may not need be perferect it at least has to look believable. Just a cheap item. My Grandfather (Retired C&O yard Master) now sells used railroad ties and while I may have never seen a beam from a Trestle Bent, I have seen bridge timbers and they are much larger than a standard tie.

I'm done whinning now.:cry: (Actually I never was.... I'm just lookin out for you guys)

I think scratch building the bridge is an all together better idea. Although from what Ive seen Grand Central Gems & Mesa Verde Rail supply make really nice bents.