Don't want to destroy a relic...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Folks who known me on this board long enough know that I'm a bit merciless to N scale mechs as they make good fodder for my HOn30 endeavors. I want to make sure I'm not destroying an unusual piece of N scale history when I do my next bash.

This would be one of the earliest pieces of N scale motive power that came out in 1965 or so. A half plastic/half tinplate lokey put out by Arnold Rapido, it models no specific prototype---not even European that I know of. I got it in a junk box lot and the little booger runs like a watch, even better than some of my HO lokeys. I even have an article in an early MR that speaks well of this little beastie. As you can see, with its low slung motor and all brass gear train, it would make a perfect platform for an HOn30 climax or deisel, certainly better than the Model Power RS15 that I used on my first try. The 3 piece stamped metal trucks have an interesting flex to them that tracks really well.

Being a sentimental modeler, if it's worth while, I'd shelve it with my other pieces of model railroadenia, to be run on my narrow gauge trackage from time to time, like my pizza cutter Rivarossis and my open frame Bowsers. ---OR--- do I start my next 'bash next Saturday?

Attachments

• n1.JPG
    n1.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 52
  • n2.jpg
    n2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 52

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Bob,That was first introduce I believe in 1962 or6 3 as the first N Scale to enter the market...I don't if its worth anything or not as a collector's item.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I repaired a couple of those for a friend. The only thing I didn't like were the supersonic speeds.
If you can find an interested collector , maybe you could get enough to buy a newer mechanism to bash. If not, go for it.
The trucks wouldn't be hard to disguise by soldering pieces of brass or steel wire (staple material) to form arch-bar style trucks for a climax or shay.
Here's a photo of their F unit with the same drive.

Attachments

• Mar15017a.jpg
    Mar15017a.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 54

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
eightyeightfan1 said:
Nah...Keep it as is.
If you squint and stand on your head after a couple of six packs...It does look like a VO-1000 though.......Sort of......

Only a couple? aussie

Thanks for correcting the date, Larry. :thumb:

I figured you'd have one in that museum of your's, Ray. That mech is pretty wild looking stuffed under a F unit shell. :thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
60103 said:
Is that the one with the mechanism on the inner 2 axles and the outer axles on pony trucks? A 2-4-2?

They are true trucks, the inner wheelsets are geared, the outer ones are free rolling 1-A+A-1. Power pick-up is by all eight wheels (remarkable when one considers that most HO diesels weren't doing that at the time). The motor is even isolated from the frame, one could put a DCC decoder in with room to spare. All in all a fascinating little booger to study.