Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

wickman

Thanks steve I've been working pretty steady on mine well as much as I could afford the time for. I just got the best part of my loconet hookups figured out turns out I made all the loconet cables backwards :eek:ops: So I'll have to pick up somemore ends ...ahh live and learn.
Have your ever tried the woodland scenic pigment I tried everyting then trie d the ws pigments and couldn't believe how idiot proof it was for me. Hopefully you gave your track a good testing before you start ballasting. I learned from the last layout that there's no such thing as perfect track work and reserved myself to the fast that trains don't run 50 miles an hour LOL So the track work doesn't have to be perfect but smooth joints are a must and easements as well other than that keep the straight aways where the turnouts joint each other straight and you got it made.
Can't wait to see more pics.
I'm really starting to enjoy the company here :wave:

Nazgul

Josh, I was was just hoping to have the waterfall done by 2008! I harbor no delusions of ever getting the entire layout "done"!:D Lynn, I've never tried WS pigments but I saw them used on T.V. and it certainly looked "Steve" proof...I plan on trying to use paint first (have plenty) and I just bought a 1gal 100psi compressor from Home Depot and also an airbrush from Harbor Freight, both on sale. I sure It isn't the best but it will do to learn on....to answer your other question about testing my track...I have tested it quite a bit and have corrected all the trouble spots. My only loco is a 0-8-0 that can get up to 59mph (according to manufacturer). I run it full throttle with all my cars (10) all over the layout and it never has a problem...Knock on woodhamr .....As far as enjoying the company here...ditto....I'll talk you all soon.

Nazgul

Just a quick before and after pic.....By the way, still working on the waterfall (making it look real is K I L L I N G M E E E E E E E E E E!!!!) If you don't hear from me again you'll know why wall1

Picture sm.jpg

Picture 030 small.jpg

wickman

you ever try clear silicone. you get some wax paper layout a buch of the silicone in strips and play with it a bit before it stiffens and let it go into solid state peel and stick :wave: Sometimes a very lite platic behind it will help as well:)

Nazgul

Lynn, thank you for the advice and also for the link. That really helps and I will see if I can do justice to the info. I've finally got something workable...now the question is: can I make it look good. I think the silicone will help to make it more realistic. If not, I will redo the waterfall and use the silicone for the entire thing. However it turns out, good or bad, I'll post the results and maybe someone will get something out of it. I'm having fun doing the scenery but I didn't realize how time consuming it is. Live and learn.

Nazgul

Well here is my waterfall.... done except for some greenery here and there to bring it to life. I would like any honest opinions, good or bad, and any suggestions. It really is much harder to realistically to model water than I expected...MUCH HARDER! I also apologize for the quaility of the pics...the real coloring is most like pic 3 but more muted and natural.

Picture 045.jpg

Picture 046.jpg

Picture 032.jpg

wickman

Steve I think seeing it in the pic looks great . Its hard to tell but you may even be able to add a bit more where the falls is going over the rock face to give it a fuller look ...just a thought as I said its tuff to tell :eek:ops:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Looks real to me! great job! The only thing i would do to maybe add to the effect, is get some fuzzy stuff ( but not to fuzzy) and put it around wher ethe water falls and hits the rock below it, to add that misty ness to it. That probably isn't necisarry, i'm not kidding, thats really good!

Nazgul

Lynn, G.E.C., Thank you for your input...You are right on both counts. I'll work some more and incorporate your suggestions then I'll add the greenery when I do it to the rest of the layout. I also want to add a little color to the flat water areas. dr5euss, I thank you for your kind words as well... Here's some pics that I hope are a little clearer. I think I finally figured out the resizing prob I was having...It was the same prob I usually have...OPERATOR ERRORstooges8 ... In my case it's just 1 Stooge!

Picture 032.jpg

Picture 033.jpg

Picture 034.jpg

Picture 036.jpg

cnw1961

To model water is always very difficult, and I think a waterfall is even worse. I am very impressed by your results. Very good job.

Whitewater - whoo hoo!

Steve,

Excellent work! The water seems a bit white in places, but perhaps after you add color as you mentioned it will give it a little more variation. Can't wait to see the greenery.

This isn't really the region you're modeling but may provide some inspiration from the prototype, or just a few relaxing hours of web surfing. (Put on some relaxing music and just flip through the great pictures this guy has taken...the wildflowers are pretty neat also!).

www.ncwaterfalls.com

The site may also be helpful for setting the waterfall in its surroundings when that time comes.

Galen

Nazgul

Thank you Kurt, coming from you, that means a lot to me. Galen, old buddy...I saw on another thread that you have been quite the busy man! Isn't moving F U N!:D I moved 3 years ago and I'm still traumatized. My wife told me the next time I move, it will be alone!... Glad you're back. Checked out the website and got plenty of ideas for placement and plantlife ect. thanks. I agree with you that the water is too white and I'll be "carefully" trying to add a little color and texture. It is by no means done. I'll add the "flat" water and then place it and continue the mountains. I need a break from water! Talk to you all soon!

wickman

I think Galen maybe right perhaps if you can add some color . Personally I think you did a terific job the greenery will really help alot as long as you don't over do it. I'm wandering did you add some debris into the pool like logs and stuff?

Nazgul

Hi Lynn,
thank you for the kind words. To answer your question, I put some real little rocks around just to show what I was planning to do later. Tonight I put joint compound on the flat water parts and set the rocks. After it dries (hopefully by tomorrow night) I will paint the compound and use gloss medium to simulate the water. This should add a little more realism to the flat areas and make them more natural. After that, I will place the waterfall on the layout and finish the mountains near it and blend them together. The greenery will come later when I finish all the mountains and landscaping.

Nazgul

O.K., this is the last pic of the waterfall....I added some color and rocks...I'm done with it until green is added later (much later)!
Started on the riverbanks...I took a utility knife and started slashing horizontal cuts into the blue foam..... I added two brown tones with the airbrush and this is what I wound up with. I really didn't know when I started, what it would look like. I just did it on a whim. What do you all think? Does it look believable? I'll add some sand to look like erosion and vary the look a little.

Picture 037 small.jpg

Picture 040 small.jpg

Picture 041 small.jpg

Picture 042 small.jpg

wickman

That looks very good for the river banks and around the top of the falls are you going to put some green bushes and stuff?:wave: