Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
Nazgul said:
Just how much I can fit, really depends on how I have to do the sloping terrain. I am hoping to use wood retaining walls to maximize real-estate. I also have to choose structures and account for their footprints... so much to do...soooooo much fun to have!:) Plus I would like to try scratch building a structure or two......
Scenery looks great Steve just a suggestion if you would like to dirty up the rock faces you need only to give them a spay of adhesive like scenic cement and you just gives it a dusting of black earth ,its like real fine stuff woodland scenic has it real cheap too. You put it on a sheet of paper and make the paper in a J shape and you just give the fine black a puff of air to blow it on the wet rock face.For the building you certainly have the right idea building wood retaining walls the buildings can go on the slopes low in the back and built up in the front . So many options and with such a great imagination. :wave:

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
You may want to take a look at Malcolm Furlow's article on building a colorado mining town, if you haven't already. He advocates the use of mock-ups for roads, buildings, etc. to get an idea of the overall picture. It's on a steep hillside and some of the buildings seem perched precariously and ready to slide into oblivion any second. He also makes great use of a mirror....not sure how you'd be able to pull that off in your situation...but perhaps you could over in the yard/town area.

I think it's called 'Sheridan'.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Lynn...thank you for the tip...I will try it in a out of the way area and see how it looks:thumb:
Steven...glad you like it:) I think this section will be a slow process of trial and error.
Galen...I will try to get my mitts on that article:D
I have been perusing the internet looking for possible structures to use and taking note of the footprints that most have. I will definitely be doing some mock-ups to see what will and will not fit. Here's a house that I found that I think will look nice:
71678292024669.jpg

It is a kit by "City Classics"....here's a link to walthers:Walthers Model Railroad Mall -- product information page for 195-111

I have been under some heavy tutelage on the subject of photography (thanks Deano)...my Dad always said: "learn from the best"...so that's what I'm doing:thumb: ...any way..I can now get a clear close up, so....here's one of the F-3 unit that Deano bought, super detailed, weathered the lower part, and programed and installed a new mrc brilliance decoder in for me.....
F-3 012 cropped small.jpg

It is so BEAUTIFUL, sounds great, and runs like butter!!!!
Thanks for everything, my friend:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
STEVE!!!:wave:, NICE SHOT!!!:thumb: Hey now, you are giving me MUCH TO MUCH credit:eek:ops:, VERY kind words though, THANK YOU STEVE!:D those pics just keep getting BETTER and BETTER!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: i cant wait to see what shots you have in store for us next;):D. BTW, i think that type of house would be PERFECT for what you are planning on doing. GREAT JOB Steve!:thumb: THANKS!:D-Deano

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Steve, Grant Line makes a set of three houses from a Colorado mining town that are about the same size as the ones you posted by City Classics. They have some nice "gingerbread" around the eves to give them a little extra character.

Wooden retaining walls to allow steep vertical faces to maximise real estate is fine, but you can also mix in some rock faces. A rock face that is solid enough to need to be blasted to get something in place does not need retaining walls. Some rock molds used on a vertical face will simulate blasted rock nicely.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Gus, Deano...thank you guys!...I really appreciate it:thumb: :thumb: :)
Russ...I will check out the grant Line houses (thank you)
My inspiration town uses rock faces as well as retaining walls...good idea...I was forgetting about that!!!:thumb: Russ... you are one of the people that has been offering GREAT advice and encouragement from just about day one. I have not always followed your suggestions:eek:ops: (to my detriment)...but I have ALWAYS learned from them:thumb:
Thank you!:)
take care:wave:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
testing to see if This works:
F-7038croppedsmaller.jpg

This pic is on photo bucket....wanted to see if this is a good way to get high res pics on here......dial up users (how hard is it to load?)
train001recroppedforpb.jpg

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Well I just spent the entire night reading all 58 pages of your thread and all I have to say is what everyone else has said.

You are truly an inspiration. You layout is a work of art and I am genuinely impressed.

Well done sir. If the rest of this layout...no, this RAILROAD, as it is truly become something more than just a model. It represents your dedication to see this project through to it's eventual conclusion. But if the rest is as excellent as the first section you will soon be one of those people you deem as your mentor.

A truly skilled and talented modeler. I hope my future layout is half as good as yours sir.

Randall

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Whooaa...!!! That's a tight fit through those rock walls. The crew must just close their eyes and hope for the best...
Great pics both...!!
Can't see that much difference as far as resolution goes (crummy monitor, I'm sure...), but the loading sure is slower. I'll take a look at whatever pics you post, no matter what the format...

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I have to agree! Those last two shots really impressed me Immensely! What camera do you use? (probably an FAQ around here!) Completely Fantastic. Even though I don't post often, I have EVERY post from the beginning, and love to see each little thing on this layout progress! :)

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Randall...I can't believe you read ALL of this!...I would just like to say that yours was one of the nicest compliments that I have ever received, and I thank you and wish you the best of luck on your new layout:thumb: . I hope that you will be posting your progress as well:)
Lynn, Deano, Kurt, Gus, Miles, Hiscopilot....thank you all very much for the kind words!:thumb:
Miles...I use a Pentax Optio 33LF...it is an entry level digital camera or so I have read. I just checked the Pentax website and they apparently don't make it anymore...I'm sure there is a comparable camera in their line up. I did find this though:
http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Pentax_Optio_33LF
click on "see product details"...it will at least give you a starting point to start looking. I am no expert and am just starting to learn how to use it. But i will say that it is an easy camera to use. Any one purchasing a camera has to do the homework and see what's right for them.:)
Here's some other pics I took with it (I think these are my best so far)...it'll show you all the results a guy that really doesn't know very much about photography can can get with this camera:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showpost.php?p=255189&postcount=1
I would just caution everyone to really look around and read all you can before choosing any camera:thumb: ....I hope that helps

I'll going to try and get busy this week on the layout and put the camera down for a while....but it is just so darn fun!!!!!:D

take care:wave:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Well folks, it has been a while. I'd like to be able to tell you that I have accomplished a whole lot since last we met....sadly I can't:cry:. I've been feeling poorly for about a week and now I have family visiting, so the layout has to wait.
I have been searching the internet for possible structures and believe I have found a few that will suit the new area/town....I think I will buy one and see if I can make it look like something (lots of paint...maybe some new roof shingles). Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3600
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3604
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3613
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3619
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3620
there's no way to have more than 2 or so...not and have a couple of more industrial-like structures and a house or 2.....well what do you think?

Anyway......I'll leave you with 2 pics...the first shows Deano's great weathering of the lower part of the F-3:
F-7103.jpg

photos008.jpg

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
It’s a pity that life always disturbs modeling :D. Nice selection of building kits, Steve. I don’t know why, but I would prefer wooden structures for your layout. So if I had to choose from your list, I’d take the River Road Mercantile or the Landry Feed & Supply.