Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey Steve, Thanks a lot for the info on the freight station. I'll have to run one down somewhere.:thumb:

As always, coming along great!!!

I don't do shrubbery all at once. I start putting some down, then go on to sumpin' else, come back to do a little more (after having seen what i've done for several hours - let it "sink in", sorta). Then I place some more (or remove, as the case may be). Since it's generally the last thing to go on, I don't rush it. You're doing a great job...!!!sign1

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
That structure is a kitbashing classic...so classic I can't think of its name off hand. I had actually started cutting it up and bashing it with some DPM modular walls eons ago. Gotta pull that one out and work on it sometime, along with the dozen other projects half-finished...

Ditto on taking your time with the greenery. Study the prototype and look for what looks good to you. And remember, VARIETY!

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Steve,

I guess the only version is the animated one...I found one for considerably less than the one offered in your link, plus a bunch more of the same "look". I guess I never much looked at the European kits since they all seemed to have too much of a "Continental" look, but this one and a lot of others from Faller & others do have an American look.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice on ground cover. I have to pay more attention to what's around me in real life....I look at too many pictures! LOL

Steven...I hope you're doing better soon:thumb: ...the freight station will probably go in it's original place (second pic in this post):
http://www.the-gauge.com/showpost.php?p=246897&postcount=743

Stephen...I think I'll leave the "how-to's" to you:thumb:...I'm still hoping you get the new camcorder so YOU can do some video tutorials:thumb: :thumb:

I went to a train show today...I was pretty disappointed with it. Many people were charging as much as the LHS' for their products....hey, if that's what they need to charge to make a profit, I don't blame them...but if that's the case, I would rather just support the local guy.
I found a few cars (I really wanted to get a set of some coal cars but couldn't find any NP or unlettered:cry: ). I did find this weathered stock (pig) car (with its load):

Twin River RR 191.jpg

Twin River RR 194 small 2.jpg

You will all be relieved to know that I also bought a couple of caboose kits!

I'm sick of scenery, so....I'm going to play with the trains!
Take care:wave:

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nazgul said:
I'm sick of scenery, so....I'm going to play with the trains!

Hey I don't blame you. Part of the reason I want to get into this is to run trains. I have the feeling once I get the track work done on my own layout and the switchers running, things are going to slow down quite a bit. :D

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Shane, joesho...
It's always good to run trains:thumb:
For me, scenery is fun but I always need to stop and run the trains......
However, tonight it was back to scenery;)

Just a few pics to show what I'm doing:

Twin River RR 214 small.jpg

Twin River RR 216 small.jpg

Twin River RR 212 small.jpg

I just want to stress that these are not finished areas...I still need to vary colors and textures but even the little I have done has really made a difference......just another small step in the right direction.....I hope!

I have posted few new shots here:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=25461

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Yeah, I dont know... Maybe you should give this hobby up. You not very good at it. I mean look at those pics, that right there should tell you to pick something else to model. LOL

Good Job!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steve:wave:, the ballast, coal/cinders, rocks, and the greenery you are adding just looks AWESOME!!!:thumb: STUPENDOUS JOB!!!:thumb::D that section of the layout is turning out GREAT!:thumb: BTW, NICE PICS TOO!:D :D -Deano

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Steve, have fun running your trains. I can understand that you need some distraction now. I admire your endurance, building scenery for such a long time. I could not have done this. When I finish one of my projects (after a few weeks , not a few months), I have to turn to something else to keep me interested. :wave:

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
The only thing I don't like about stopping scenery pr building kits or what ever avenue I'm down is by the time I get around to running the trains I tend to have to clean the entire track run again sign1 but its a real nice break.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Steve,

I too took a little time off to run a couple of trains this weekend...I haven't done but a fraction of what you've done over the past few weeks (scenery-wise), but I did need to take a break...!!!

BTW, what are you using for the little "bushes" sprouting all over those scenes??

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Steve,
I caught your edit about indexing pages here. While it would be helpful, it isn't necessary. I say this because to do that, so it will be thoroughly accurate, and crossreferenced will take an enormous amount of time, better spent building your layout.
I very much like the continuity, and content here. It is one of the best "how to build a layout" pieces in a long time, and, those following it, will get a better feeling of what is involved in a project like this. There's no "skipping to the end to see how it turned out":D Keep up the good work! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Pete

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
combat...Thank you (I think)
Deano...You are too kind as usual (but I'll take it):winker:
Kurt...I'm less burnt out on scenery in general than I am on rockwork in particular. But I always seem to have to stop and run the trains...it just seems to keep it fun. BTW...you could have done it and done it better (I know you're going to say you couldn't, but......I'M NOT LISTENING!!!!!):p
Lynn...same thing with me....I always have to clean the track before I run the trains (I get stuff all over)
Gus....Glad you took a break to get the trains going
BTW, what are you using for the little "bushes" sprouting all over those scenes??
I'm using the only thing I have right now: WS light green clump foliage. I tear it into tiny pieces. There are better things to use, I'm sure, but I had it, so....why not?
I'm going to place an order for some ground cover products from Scenic Express and try the grass tufts among other things.

This is my anniversary week on The Gauge!
I joined on January 22, 2006....made my first post/thread on the 24th:
http://forum.zealot.com/post342271-1/
If you read it, you will see a very crude attempt to show the dimensions of the room I wanted to have a layout in and I was asking how to best use the room.......Here was the 1st response!
http://forum.zealot.com/post342291-2/
sign1 I thought I had made a mistake joining here.....but it was all in good fun and on that thread we settled on the foot-print of the benchwork that I have used for this layout.

Anyway, for the next week or so I'll post some things related to the anniversary...some posts and maybe a few photos not seen before...we shall see.

At the top of the very first post of this thread, I have added links to SOME of the things I thought people might like to find easily.....these are not really tutorials, mostly just pics of the layout in various stages. The closest I come to "How to's" are the links to the rockwork and cheap trees. If anyone thinks of something else I should link to...let me know.
**********************EDIT***************************
I have removed the index on the first page because with the recent changes here on The Gauge...the links were broken...wall1
-STEVE

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Happy Anniversary, Steve. balloon6balloon6balloon6

I am glad you didn’t listen to the advice given on the first reply to your first post :D .

wdsrwg

Jan 29, 2006
Hill Country of Western Wisconsin
You certainly have become a superstar! :thumb: :D :D :thumb:

I don't know why this thread is sooooo boring...:sleeping: :rolleyes: :sleeping:

NOT!
bounce7 bounce7

Happy Anniversary and keep it going!
train97 train97 train97 train97

Russell,