Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Steve, all I can say is
jawdrop

That is some fine work on the trestle scene. I can only hope that when it comes time to scene my layout, that it will look half as good as yours.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
WOW...!!!

I stay away a couple of days from this thread and miracles happen...!!! It's absolutely AWESOME, FANTASTIC, UNBELIEVABLE....(any adjectives out there that haven't been used yet...???). This layout is getting to be like the Holy Grail for us all-thumbs guys...!!!:thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Deano, Pete.....Thank you for the kind words...they are much appreciated!

Lynn...Thank you for the link..I am bookmarking it!

Chris:
That is some fine work on the trestle scene. I can only hope that when it comes time to scene my layout, that it will look half as good as yours.
I fully expect yours to be an improvement on mine! Everything you did on your previous layout was superior: benchwork, trackwork, ballasting (ok maybe not ballasting:D ) BALLASTING STINKS!!!!! it was true then and still is!

Gus....you are way too kind..but I thank you....what's been happening on your AWESOME layout?????

Galen...Thank you for the mini-tutorial on ground cover:thumb:. I have printed it off and will be trying to do it......Also you can offer ANY advice you want!!!!!!!!!!:thumb: :thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
lol, ballasting is not so hard as laying ground foam. I can't get it to go down without little drop of glue displacing spots of grass on my layout. Ballasting is comparatively easy.

it got even easier after i read the second to last model railroader. it says to dilute glue in water, and paint the glue water onto the shoulders of the ballast. that way when you sprinkle the stones on, they stick automatically. I tried it when i ballasted my yard, and it works! and the middle part is always easy. just need to keep the stones out of the sliding parts of turnouts.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
its all how you take the picture. If you lay a camer lense with the surface of your layout, even N-scale can look convincingly larger. when you take a picture of a layout overall, its size relative to other things becomes apperent.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Steve, I’m a bit late, but thank you for the overall shots (I always like to see overall shots). Your mountains looked big already in the pics you posted earlier, but now I see they are BIG. And Galen is a man of good taste: your passenger cars look stunning with the F-unit indeed.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Steve,

I posted a few pics of the going-ons at my layout (Las Cruces & Portales Update). Slow progress but getting there...
Of course, nowhere near to your work (sigh...):cry:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Kurt...you are never late....you're always right on time!:thumb:
Galen is a man of good taste: your passenger cars look stunning with the F-unit indeed.
In more ways than one...Galen is the person who pointed me to these shorter passenger cars on Walthers....on sale no less! (thank you Galen)

I'm glad I took a pic from farther out...I should have done one sooner than this...
Thank you Steven, for asking for one:thumb:

GEC...Thank you for the encouragement!:thumb: I would like to encourage anyone who hasn't seen green_elite_cab's fine, fine work to check out the links in his signature....great stuff!...And he's a Jersey guy (what more could you ask for!!!!):D

Gus...Thank you for the heads up on your update.....well what are you waiting for? check it out: http://forum.zealot.com/t114915/

take care everybody:wave:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
If your ballast or grass beads up when you apply glue, you need something to break the surface tension (and get to the real, deep-down tension).
I use alcohol for this; some use wet water. Also I use a mister (old hair-spray bottle) so that it doesn't do down in drops. With ballast, I then add the glue/matte medium/scenic cement with an eye-dropper; on grass and ground foam I use a big spray bottle.
I also now use full-strength carpenter's clue on the bottom layer before I add ground foam; I do this on the ballast shoulders as well.

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
If you havent noticed, its almost your 1 year mark since when you started this post.... Yay! :p lol... Happy Anniversary!!! (damn i gotta wait like another 20 days) ohwell!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Nazgul said:
GEC...Thank you for the encouragement!:thumb: I would like to encourage anyone who hasn't seen green_elite_cab's fine, fine work to check out the links in his signature....great stuff!...And he's a Jersey guy (what more could you ask for!!!!):D

Thank you!:D

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
David...That's what I call GOOD TIMING!!!! thank you:thumb:
prodigy2k7...who knows what will happen on the anniversary:D thank you for the good wishes:thumb:
Gus...sent you a PM:thumb:
GEC...you are most welcome:thumb:

Update?
I've really just been taking a break and playing with the trains...had three running at once:eek:ops: that didn't last long!sign1 BUT IT was FUN!!!!!!!

Here's a pic: only 1 train:cry:
c r.jpg

Take care:wave:

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
I have a question, what do you plan on doing with the 3 tracks under the building in the picture you just posted...is it still just bare wood? What do you plan on doing right it?

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
prodigy2k7....to answer your questions...it is still bare wood around the coal mine but I plan on ballasting it:thumb: ...one of these days:D

Steve:

The picture is great!!!! The only thing missing is a Gator sitting in the river sign1

I can send you one, if you need it. . . . .
For those of you that don't know....I am a huge Ohio State Buckeye fan.....
Chris....all can say is:
Puss_In_Boots.jpg
Haven't I been hurt enough?