Don't laugh too hard...It's my first attempt!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steve:wave:...WOW!!!...WOW!!!...FANTASTIC JOB!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: that is really turning out AWESOME!:thumb: will there be water at the bottom? cant wait to see more pics! :D -Deano

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Steve. I can only repeat myself: you are an artist. That is absolutely AWESOME. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: How long did it take to build this slope? I think I would need three months to do this and the result would never be as good as this. Anyway Merry Christmas and a happy new year
to you and all my fellow Gaugers.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thank you everyone:) :) for the kind words!
Deano...I don't plan on water at the bottom but I do see some type of scene to catch people's interest (just not sure what exactly) I have a few things in mind:thumb:
Kurt....Thank you, my friend, for all you have said about my work. It means a lot to me:thumb: . To answer your question: I did this in about 3 evenings (total hrs: about 6). Sculptamold really makes it easy. It will take 4 or 5 days for the SM to dry in the thickest areas....so no painting for about a week.:cry: I have some more rock work to do and then I need to paint the bridge and finally connect the track back up:thumb:
I want to run Deano's F-units sooooooooo badly, I can taste it!
I have a question: What about the bridge color?
Should I make the obvious choice and paint it black (dark, dark, gray) or choose some other color? I've noticed that some others paint them a brown color (Doctor Wayne's come to mind) and I've seen a few painted a dark green color that looks cool.
If anyone has a preference or would like to make another suggestion, I would like to hear it.
I hope everyone is having a great Christmas.....take care

Illus

Sep 24, 2006
Wyandotte, Michigan
Nazgul said:
I don't plan on water at the bottom but I do see some type of scene to catch people's interest (just not sure what exactly) I have a few things in mind:thumb:

Like a B.A.S.E. jumping event gone bad???sign1 That would really test your detailing skills!!

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nazgul said:
I don't plan on water at the bottom but I do see some type of scene to catch people's interest (just not sure what exactly)

Or you could do a bear raiding a camp site with some one hiding in a tent while yogi goes through the pic-a-nic basket. sign1

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Scene ideas - since it's at a lower elevation, perhaps something kids will really go for? (read: kids of all ages) How' bout a prospecting scene or old mine complete with mine entrance? Maybe a herd of Elk?

That Burt still cracks me up...I gotta bookmark that post so that I can get back to it whenever I need a good laugh.

As for the bridge color, did NP have a standard color? Careful, contacting the NP historical society may lead to more fun...

And if I remember the plan correctly you can run the F units...out of the yard, up the hill, around the reversing section opposite the mine and back down the hill. Since you've got two, set em up end to end and you can just run around your train in the yard without having to turn 'em.

Merry Christmas, btw.

Galen

insinu8

Dec 26, 2006
Sunnyvale, CA
curved bridges?!?!

I wanted to finally join in the accolades for Steve and his layout. I've been watching this thread for several months now as I prepare to begin my first track layout. So many of the things you've worked out, asked about, puzzled over and gotten help with are on my mind as well. This last piece about the curved viaduct bridge finally pushed me to paroxysm and I had to post.

Your progress gives me hope AND trepidation ;)

Could I ask for a clarification on how you managed that curvature on the viaduct? My layout has a very similar curved bridge over water part, but it's an interior area. Did you somehow curve the sections? Are there small angled gaps between each? I've been trying to wrap my brain around that and it's driving me nuts!

Cheers to you and all the others who have helped throughout your efforts. You've certainly given me a lot of enthusiasm and inspiration. I'm thankful that there is such a helpful and humorous community to interact with.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thanks guys
And thank you cyclingshane73 and Dominic for a couple of scenes i never would have thought of!....LOL
Galen: I like the mine/prospector idea:thumb: ....one that I was thinking of was an old wrecked engine at the bottom....only partially visible (semi-buried through the years) ...a rusted hulk.
insinu8: thank you....you should have posted months ago:thumb: I/we don't bite...often.
Before I answer your question....what is the radius of the curve you're talking about? Also, how long is the bridge going to be? A lot of what you can do or can't do depends on the answers to those questions. If you're not sure at this time...I be glad to help anyway I can!

insinu8

Dec 26, 2006
Sunnyvale, CA
curvature

The curvature of my intended bridge is 22" as are all of my turns. Let me see what the length is...it is 3 x 9" (more or less) bridge sections long. I was trying to post the picture of my layout on it's own thread to beg/borrow/steal some input, but it seems to have not worked somehow. I'll try again, but not on this thread.

Thanks for the welcome, btw. I'm looking forward to the months & years of communal effort ;)

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
I like the idea of a wrecked engine or car, it would make a great scene. As for the bridge color I back Galen’s idea to find out if NP had a standard color.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Old logging roads would often cast off rusted out balloon stacks. They rusted away because of the water/ash interaction producing an acid that ate away the metal from within...so not rusted out in the usual sense. Sounds like you've got plenty of good ideas.

There are some neat mining parts in a detail set from Builders in Scale (now owned by CC Crow). http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/ho-sets.html

Also check here for more info (if you haven't been there yet...a neat site)

www.nprha.org

Happy modeling!

Galen

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Thanks for all the ideas everybody!
In the mean time...
I'm posting 2 pics of the places where the bridge will land:

Scenery 430 small.jpg

Scenery 436 small.jpg

I will be painting the abutment in the 2nd pic concrete color.
I have also decided to add some more real rocks to the entire scene and then I will need to add some more sculptamold to blend it all in. I just thought I was rushing through this and needed to slow down and add some more detail:eek:ops:
I have joined a NP modelers group on yahoo and I am waiting on an answer to my bridge color question....I have found a photo of a NP truss bridge and it was black...so if all else fails, I will go with black and add a little weathering (much lighter than the other bridges on this layout)
I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas!!:thumb: