Don't Laugh. . .to hard..:)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by alaimo@jcu.edu, Jun 15, 2007.

1. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

Hi,
    I'm George. I am relatively new to the forum, though I have posted before, I recieved some emails regarding what I was doing, so here it is. Don't laugh too hard. I am intrested in micro miniature R/C. And I pursue cardmodeling for that goal. Right now, I have built several FG models quickly 1 evening or less to test card weight, model weight, printers, making moveable surfaces etc. My final goal will be to do a build thread of a show stopping scale plane with some or full detail and have it R/C. (For any question re: the R/C part email me. I won't dwell heavily on that.) The equipment is available at airmidimicros.com and bsdmicrorc.com, as well as others. I will show what I have been doing. . .

View attachment 12502
    This is a p6e that I upscaled and aded wire for the landing gear and balsa to the wing but I put it away, too much non paper. . .

View attachment 12503
    This one was to test some carbon fiber for the landing gear and I used tape for the control surfaces...weighs 12 grams, good candidate. . .

View attachment 12504
    This was a test for weight it is a candidate. (note the flames and hole put in by my 6 year old.)(he tests all my "toys" for durability. . .:)

View attachment 12505 here are control horns and moveable surfaces that I liked View attachment 12506 although I am not crazy about the dr1 from FG, I think I may use the sero version I like much better. . .
  2. alaimo@jcu.edu

Any body tell me how to make it smaller? I made them TINY FILES! Sorry for the big pics. . .
    Disregard I figured it out. . .
  3. alaimo@jcu.edu

I liked the idea of a 4 motor R/C so I tried this. . .
    View attachment 12509
    and I used tape for the control surfaces, but after seeing what you all have done, I think If I choose this one, I will do all paper moveable controll surfaces (Not the 6 yearold helping dad color the work!):( View attachment 12510
    I saw the Stuka threads and I would like to do a Stuka R/C also so this is being tested too. . View attachment 12508
    And I like the skyrocket so it has a chance too!
    View attachment 12511
    View attachment 12512
  4. alaimo@jcu.edu

This is a test for pic size and a plane I rejected, Didn't build the way I liked, tho with added dehidral it glided rather well. . .nice toy for the kid. . . View attachment 12498
    Ahh thats better. . .
  5. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

6. alaimo@jcu.edu

7. alaimo@jcu.edu

paperbeam
    I collect z scale marklins...nice to meet a fellow z scaler. . .
  8. alaimo@jcu.edu

9. alaimo@jcu.edu

OK and next time I WILL NOT USE MY CAMERA PHONE FOR PICS!
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking great there! I really cant wait to see how it all progress's!
    Chris
  11. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Of course I'm for using the Stukas for RC, but what RC equipment is that small? What kind of air time are you hoping for? This is a fascinating aspect of paper modeling. Not my thing, particularly, but really cool nonetheless. The Stukas have that extra stability from the built-in dihedral , you know!:wink:
    Chris
  12. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

nice work man

i also fly a RC models and also built a paper model
    never tray yet to make a paper model into RC MODEL
    my work kill me now i work more than 12 in 1 day and not mach ti me to hobbys
    i wish 1 day to make my oun c47 into rc model :)
    and i whant to tray next to make cardmodels.de GILDER into RC also :)
  13. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Nice work! I'm watching this thread closely.
  14. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Chris,

Could you list the RC parts? I'd like to get a sense of what it would take to build one. Thanks.
  15. JLKasper

JLKasper New Member

R/C candidates

Nice work on these models, especially the funky Skyrocket. You might have some balance issues with that one, though.

If I was going to try R/C with a FG model, I would pick one in which the airfoil is one piece, since minor differences in shape can cause lift issues. You might try a model of a plane designed to fly slowly and with a wide margin for pilot error for your first attempt, so you can concentrate on rigging the mechanicals, then concentratibg on performance. The FG Piper Cub is the one I would try first; and it's free and yellow...:) Also, the Renard monoplane is a recent introduction that has a nice, fat fuselage that gives you room to fit your mechanicals in.

In short: make it fit, make it fly, then make it fast! Good Luck!
  16. alaimo@jcu.edu

cjwalas
    Thanks, I even added abit more dehidral. . .The batteries should last 5 to ten minutes or more, the smaller the plane the shorter the flight, the larger the airframe the bigger the battery and longer fly time, till I upgrade to the Brushless which is a power hog. . .
  17. alaimo@jcu.edu

rmks2000
    I didn't want to tick anyone off by bringing too much RC here, the idea is to make the cardmodels, but the rc equipment I currently have is microinvents reciever and actuators and 50-130mh lipo's from bsd, the motors are geared up micros and I have some handmade light brushless. My Radio is futaba. I am not promoting the website, but airmidimicros, bsdmicrorc, and microinvent websites have much rc info.
  18. alaimo@jcu.edu

JLKasper
    You are correct. I have had issue with the airfoils and wings. I found that in some cases I had to modify. I am using brushless for themore scale planes and I am hoping that the increased power will over come the short commings. But that is why I am testing the models. After I build them strong, I add clay in the gr amount of the gear and balance the plane. Then test by gliding, which is basically tossing it to my son. When I get good stable glides then I move on. Obviously the liberator and the c47 were best, but bigger then I really want. . .
  19. alaimo@jcu.edu

I am glad that you all seem to like it. I will try to stay to the cardmodelling tho. That is what I find the most fun! I am waiting to get a hold of the Gigant! I bet that will FLY! But I may have to scale it down for that....:)
    HEY CHIP! WHERE'S THE GIGANT!....:) (I am impatiently waiting for that beutiful model!)
    Golden Bear
    Nezard
    cgutzmer
    Thanks for the comments. The work I showed doesn't compare to what you all have shown and done. . .yet...:) As I said these were fast to test. Boy is it hard to do show quality work. . .
    The skyrocket has already been damaged. My son played with it and broke off the step and a propeller...but that was all...at least these things are kid tough....:)
  20. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Great idea you have on RC these models!

Everyone here has a gift on cardmodeling, and yours is adding up the treasure chest of gifted people.

Keep it up!