Don't believe this.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Just received this from my Daughter who lives in Orlando. This is my 6 year old Grandson Jason. When I saw this photo, I nearly died.
Shamus
jason.jpg

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Shamus,If that was one of my Grandsons I would have some very unkind words to say to my son and daughter-in-law. :mad:

Well,at least it wasn't a grumpy crock by cricky or he didn't jump in the water to get it.Of course he could be mucking with a King Brown,Cobra,Cotton Mouth Rattlesnake or some other highly venomous snake.I guess I watch Crocodile Hunter to much.Man that Steve Irwin got more nerve then I do as I hit light speed if I see a common black snake or water snake.:eek:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm guessing either that's a stuffed gator or your grandson's last name is Dundee! Fun picture...and I imagine a bit startling the first time seen! :)
Ralph

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Kids, Don't Try This At Home !

IF ? This isn't some SPM (Shamus Photo Magic):) :D ...Then the position of the alligator renders him paralyzed. Alligators have no strength to open their jaws, only to close them, and their mouths can be held shut with hardly any effort....Also moving the alligator's head and neck to an upright postion renders him immobile. Jason is probably pretty safe if its real but I sorta lean toward that fiberglass alligator. :) :D :D :D

But...He's having fun and that's what counts!!!:) :D :D :D

Raildog

Dec 18, 2003
Central Florida
naphotos.nerail.org
You are correct on all counts, Vic. They also tape the jaws closed with electrical tape (under the young gentlemans hands) just in case. At least they did it last time I was there. It is a real aligator. Notice the tail swishes left in the sand.

They do have a few bigger ones there...

sultan-and-mike.jpg

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Anybody Want To Try ?

Originally posted by Raildog
You are correct on all counts, Vic. They also tape the jaws closed with electrical tape (under the young gentlemans hands) just in case. At least they did it last time I was there. It is a real aligator. Notice the tail swishes left in the sand.

They do have a few bigger ones there...

Thanks Raildog....I guess I should have mentioned too that if you roll them over and rub their neck and tummys they will go to sleep:D :D :D As you know, actually they are not as fercious as people think. They generally shy away from people and only get "riled up" if you mess with their young or their food or their territory. Captive 'gators like those pay little attention to the spectators and usually are just waiting for the "feed guy" to come around. Otherwise they like to "nap":D :D :D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Oh yes the damn things real enough, my wife watched in a state of shock whilst the photo was taken.

jason1.jpg

-------------------------------------
As for rolling one over and rubbing the neck and tummy to put it to sleep, forget it, I'll stay in the cold weather of the UK:D:D
Shamus

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Raildog
Wow! That's funny! Gatorland is about a mile from my house! It's a great park. Best value for the money in Orlando...

Thats funny, my Daughter and Son-in-law are live only a mile away from Gatorland. Falcon (Something) estate.

cheers
Shamus

Re: Anybody Want To Try ?

if you roll them over and rub their neck and tummys they will go to sleep
And sharks become quite docile if turned upside down when they can be manhandled with impunity.

That's nice. Some things are best left to professionals. If some prehistoric eating machine wants to be somewhere I can find somewhere else to be. I love the wilderness but I won't stray from the footpath.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
So it's fun, but...

In fun parks it may be quite accepted to let the kids 'handle' such a beast. The kids want it, the parents pay for it, the park owners are happy - so EVERY park MUST have such 'attractions'.
In this case you might even pose the question who of the two (kid or croc) is more frightened by the whole procedure. (I wouldn't like to play the role of the croc! :D :D :D) In any case, the whole affair is quite safe for the kids, or else hordes of advocates would have put an end to such a performance years ago! :mad:

But just the same, as a Biologist I'm strongly against such 'amusements'.
After all, these animals are living creatures who have also a certain right of dignity. For me an animal is only beautiful in the wilderness or perhaps a big zoological garden with near-nature surroundings for the animals. But ok, so I'm biased and a grumpy ole professor.

But there's another point of view: I wonder, if such park managers ever realized what could happen, when a kid (who 'played' with such an animal) sees a similar one out in the wilderness and thinks this one would be equally cute to play with. I leave the more or less gory result to your imagination! :eek:

Every year kids (and grown ups, too) are injured or even killed by bears, because everybody knows Yogi Bear, circus bears or TV-series bears like Ben - and they are sooooo nice and cute and harmless, aren't they? :eek:
Now if you degrade a big reptile to an amusement gadget, it's even worse. Reptiles are stony-faced, you have no idea what they are thinking and what they are going to do in the next second. (Mammals have at least some facial expressions which can be interpreted.)

So Paul, I'm on your side. I wouldn't let my grandchild ride such a beast. Or at least I would make every effort to show the kid the difference between such a violated freak-show animal and the real dangerous beasts outside in the swamps and bajous.

Ron