Dollar Tree Buildings

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Hey gang I was just wondering if anyone used any of the little houses they have at the dollar tree on their christmas layout? Dont exactly look to scale. Just wondering.

77Railer

I use the Dollar Tree figures, since they're close enough for O scale and that's what I have. The buildings are undersize for O; they look closer to HO to me but I didn't measure them with a scale ruler. I could see using them in the background for some forced perspective on a Christmas layout using O scale trains. I use the lights; they're close enough for me, they look good, and the price is much better than the Model Power lights intended for the purpose.

If the buildings are a bit off for HO, you might use them anyway. Christmas villages all have quite a bit of variance in them, as they're going after looks and charm, rather than accuracy. Keep scale pieces--figures, automobiles, etc.--far enough away from off-scale pieces to keep them from giving it away. Creative use of forced perspective can create the illusion of scale even where there is none. And the Dollar Tree buildings are cheap enough that you can build a very impressive-looking village for your layout for very little cash.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I occasionally check out party-supply or discount stores for items that can be perverted (uh, converted) to model railroad use. One item I found at "Wishing Well" party supply stores were little palm trees intended for cake decorations. When the trunk is sanded and it's painted it makes a passable small palm tree, and they cost about eight cents apiece. One can also get really cheap plastic pine trees for about a dime, which are perfectly suitable for an around-the-christmas-tree setup or kid's play layout. With a little spray adhesive and suitable green foam they might even pass muster as a background tree on the layout...

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
They could be good for display purposes for collecting trains but I haven't really noticed the Dollar Tree bldg's. I (think) they are around small O moderate-large size HO though. And remember, it's only a dollar!