Doing a build of U-96 by Uhu02

doctormaxart

Dec 10, 2009
Dublin Ireland
Hi all I forgot to do a thread on my build here so sorry about that. The build thread is over on papermodelers.com so if anyone wants to see my build which is not the best build most likely of the uboat there is going to be can go to the link. I can't just start over here with the photos as when i upload them i delete them from the computer out of habit mostly. So if you don't mind i will just point out a few of my findings. well i made a few blunders such as not looking at the photos during the build and on some occasions a red line on the formers doesn't always mean cut out as does on other occasions. nor does it seem to mean cut out at times and then back to cut out. I hope my build thread helps others do a good build of this and any questions are welcome :wave:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ships-watercraft/15631-u-96-build-das-boot-uhu02-build.html

Attachments

• GEDC0042.jpg
    GEDC0042.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 16
  • GEDC0049.jpg
    GEDC0049.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 15
Z

Zathros

Welcome, don't be shy about posting pictures here. There not duplicate as many people here don't belong to papermoderlers. We would love to see you build pics. Since, as with many forums, you have to be logged in to see pictures, many here would not be able to see your pics there and also, converse with you,which I personally have found to be quite right, and joyful. Glad to see you posting your work here and I surely hope to see more! Thanks!!!

doctormaxart

Dec 10, 2009
Dublin Ireland
Hi again, well i had a plan to finish this week but going behind, my little plan a bit due to good weather the last few days. I am not the best person at cutting out railings have to admit but not going to get better if not trying them is a certainty

Attachments

• GEDC0052.jpg
    GEDC0052.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 16
  • GEDC0053.jpg
    GEDC0053.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 17
  • GEDC0054.jpg
    GEDC0054.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 10
  • GEDC0055.jpg
    GEDC0055.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 10
  • GEDC0056.jpg
    GEDC0056.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 13
  • GEDC0057.jpg
    GEDC0057.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 10
Z

Zathros

Doc, you might want to take your camera, and slightly the "Depress" snapshot button, your camera will then auto-focus. If the picture does not look sharp, move it slightly, then depress the button very lightly again, On most cameras, a little box appears to tell you where it is pointing too to focus. This will give you a sharp picture. if you post the make a model of your camera, I can tel you exactly how to take VERY sharp pictures. The model looks great. This isn't an easy build. I'd like to see some crisp pictures of it. Thanks

zathros

doctormaxart

Dec 10, 2009
Dublin Ireland
Well i have it finished now as best i can do a hard build but fun.

Attachments

• GEDC0111.jpg
    GEDC0111.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 17
  • GEDC0112.jpg
    GEDC0112.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 19
  • GEDC0113.jpg
    GEDC0113.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 16
  • GEDC0114.jpg
    GEDC0114.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 16
  • GEDC0115.jpg
    GEDC0115.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 16
  • GEDC0116.jpg
    GEDC0116.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 13
Z

Zathros

Not bad Doc. Sips (subs) are very hard to do. The more you do the, the better they come out. I always skin from the center out because it is easier to fit the ends that way.

If you wanted to rework that mode for instance, you could take all the high points on the hull and just and them down, and throw a new skin right over it. Don't remove the old one. I am sworn to secrecy but you would not believe how many of the "master" model makers do that. The model looks good as it is. If you wanted to practice technique, that would be one way.

Good Job Doc, I am happy you saw it through!! Thanks for posting the pics.

peter taft

Jan 15, 2010
Martin.... this is a tough model to build, and you have my respect for seeing it through. You build fast, and like John says, re-skinning can overcome some areas dents and misshapes - whatever you say, this is finished, and YOU finished it, so well done :thumb:

bigemugamer

Oct 9, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
nice doctormaxart I've always been interested in German WWII technology, subs being one of them, das boot was an excellent movie as well, i went hunting for this same model before but only found messed up links, maybe ill get it off here one day, its definitely one i want to build, i just hope it will look as good as yours :D