Does this exist?

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Spawn of Chaos said:
No other engine at that weight could outpull the Big Boy.
Sorry, but the numbers don't bear that out. You're talking about Tractive Effort.

N&W Y6b (2-8-8-2 ): 170,000 lbs (simple expansion mode, with booster)
GN R-2 (2-8-8-2) : 153,000 lbs
N&W Y6b (2-8-8-2): 152,206 lsb (simple expansion mode, before mid-1950 modifications)
WP M-137/151 (2-8-8-2): 151,000 lbs (with Franklin trailing truck booster) 137,000 lbs (without booster)
DM&IR M-4 (2-8-8-4) : 140,000 lbs
UP Big Boy (4-8-8-4): 135,375 lbs

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Canopus said:
The big boy was the largest locomotive ever built, not the most powerful.

Well, they were the longest (132' 10" over the couplers). They were the heaviest if you include a fully loaded tender. Without the tender, the C&O Allegheneys were heavier.

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Squidbait said:
Well, they were the longest (132' 10" over the couplers). They were the heaviest if you include a fully loaded tender. Without the tender, the C&O Allegheneys were heavier.

I tend to think "largest" generally refers to physical size, not mass. Since large in the world of trains translates to long, because aside from getting slightly taller, they can only really become more stretched out. But some people like to be pedantic. :thumb:

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Canopus said:
LOL, at least you don't take it seriously. Some people get genuinely riled up in arguments about the biggest and baddest. :rolleyes:

As long as they recognize that I'm the biggest and baddest, we get along fine... sign1

green_elite_cab said:
HERESY!

you do not paint over PRR locomotives. the last railroad that tried to do that exploded in failure

in any event, it would be cool to have an S1. BLI and bowser did make a T1, maybe they will make an S1. theonly problem is in real life, the S1 had real radious problems. a model would surely be so handicapped.

That's odd CAB, you seem too love Conrail.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i happen to love all steam locos! but my heart is with C&O all the way,i consider the big boys,challengers and such aong with the 2-6-6-6 allghenys to be awesome masterpeices of engineering.....even though C&O had the most powerful steam switchers ever with the 0-10-0.;)

bigsteel said:
i happen to love all steam locos! but my heart is with C&O all the way,i consider the big boys,challengers and such aong with the 2-6-6-6 allghenys to be awesome masterpeices of engineering.....even though C&O had the most powerful steam switchers ever with the 0-10-0.;)

I love the UP Big boy! Was never outpowered until GE unvieled the DD40XX.

Speaking of the DD40XX, anyone know if one in HO scale exists?

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
Canopus said:
You sure you posted that in the right forum? That set is G scale, this is the HO scale forum...

Yea I know, I'm just yankin his chain thats all.
And i'm sayin he'd be better off with this than gettin a 2 grand engine :eek: and tryin to repaint it.
I still don't know why you would repaint a PRR unit of the type though in any scale.

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
RR Man said:
Yea I know, I'm just yankin his chain thats all.
And i'm sayin he'd be better off with this than gettin a 2 grand engine :eek: and tryin to repaint it.
I still don't know why you would repaint a PRR unit of the type though in any scale.

Currently your layout consists of grass mat, some unballasted track, and a few buildings. There are some people who would rather die than have a layout that basic, and would strive for professional quality perfection even if they were living under the poverty line. It just depends on how seriously you take it. Obviously you're just in it for a bit of fun... for others it's a lot deeper than that. They think nothing of taking a dremel to a brand new Atlas locomotive. So repainting a 2000 dollar model wouldn't surprise me... I've certainly seen worse. Of course we can advise him against it, but it gets to a point where you wonder why you bother; you might as well advise people against the hobby entirely. :thumb:

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
CNWman said:
You did read my second post, right?

Yup, I'm assumein you just thought it would look great in that color scheme.
Boy I can't tell you how many times Iv'e thought of differnet color schemes on different engines. Some look absolutely cool, and some not that great.
For some aspiration and a bunch of thought, I used The Railroad Paint Shop.
You can paint your own trains using it. It comes in good handy.