Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
The discussion in question was between two members, we both agreed that the way a certain thing on the board was done was complicated and a moderator suggested that maybe we needed to pay for the service before we would appreciate it.

I suggested that other forums that are not pay have the ability, so it might be able to be done. My posts were deleted and I got a private message nicely stating I should not critisize the forum.

There was no hostility directed toward any one member, if a moderator took it as a personal assault, it must have been because he felt it was a shortcoming he could not fix.

It would be like someone saying "Those guys in the NHL should get together and co-operate" If an individual comes out on the defensive about that, it tends to indicate that the individual knows he was not co-operating and thinks the comment was a direct attack on him instead of an attack on the process.

Here we had a couple of people critisizing "The Gauge" and the moderators turned it into a public poll and we found out what the overall membership wanted. That way the moderators improved the experience for everyone.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
If i could make a suggestion Peter,
It appears as if the new format isnt really favored.On a Firum I moderate(professional Tile Forum) We used the one place you may have overlooked.
Quick Links!!
We put each Forum into the Quick Links section for quickly moving around the boards.It was easy,handy and very unobtrusive.
It would work exactly the same way without demanding so much Margin.

As to Advertising, Banners up top that rotate each time you change forums is a good method.Primary advertisers can be placed as a main page priority but go into rotation after the initial page opens.There is easily room for 3 banners up top.

Here is a link to the forum to see what i mean.
www.johnbridge.com
If you would like additional information,I can put you in touch with our computer Guru.
Because we use the same Forum Format you may find this helpful.
Dave ( Our Guru) seems to be a Whiz at manipulating this program.
He has even put a store together.He's a nice guy and very easy going.
Anyways, check it out and let me know if i can put you in contact with him.
We have one of the most successful Tile forums on the net with several accounts that manage to pay the bills most of the time :)

Oh,and Will, could I please have the Steak?? I had chicken last night ;)
just funnin buddy, just funnin!! :)

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Will_annand said:
Thanks for fixing it up Peter. :thumb:
You and the other moderators are what make The Gauge, the best forum on the net.

When you join The Gauge, you do just that "join", you feel like you belong.

Possibly The Gauge still has that small town friendly "we care" attitude while some other forums have that big city, "you are only one out of one million" attitude.

Either way, I like it better here and as a member, I feel I "belong" to The Gauge. :thumb:

Thanks Will - That's really cool!! That's the way I felt when I joined & I still feel the same way, like I belong here :) .... We've all lived through a bunch of changes here & we'll have to steer through some more - I'm sure... But we're a "Small Town" on the net. With some great Members & great Staff. :) :)

~~ Thanks!!!!!

Peter T Davis

Apr 14, 2004
New England
www.zealot.com
Tileguy said:
If i could make a suggestion Peter,
It appears as if the new format isnt really favored.On a Firum I moderate(professional Tile Forum) We used the one place you may have overlooked.
Quick Links!!
We put each Forum into the Quick Links section for quickly moving around the boards.It was easy,handy and very unobtrusive.
It would work exactly the same way without demanding so much Margin.
That's a brilliant idea, I think I'll use it. Thanks :)

Connor

Jan 25, 2005
I liked the old layout, I've been on vaction past 10 days (4 days in Miami, then on to a 5 day cruise with no internet access) and thought I was on the wrong message board!

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Just a thought....why not make it a right hand column.

Also, the fact that all the left nav links are butted up against each other with no spacing in between makes it had to read. Any easy way to fix that is to find the style in the CSS that controls those links and add margin-bottom: 5px; to it. It will open up the spacing between links so you can tell here one ends and the next begins.

I'm a professional Web designer and can help with any CSS fixes if you need it. Just let me know.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
That's a brilliant idea, I think I'll use it. Thanks

Peter,
Glad I could help. Also, the offer still stands if you would like an Introduction to our(man behind the scenes)You may be able to exchange some idea's and help each other.
I'll be gone all week out of town but will check back friday night/Saturday
PM me if your interested and we'll see about making the necessary arrangements :)
Todd

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Peter, I checked with Dave(our guru of the Vbot world) to see if he was willing to lend any help should you need additional input from someone familiar with this sometimes temperamental program.
He said he would be happy to.
Should you so desire, the invitation is made,PM me and i'll get each of you contact information.Thats what i do.the rest is all greek to me :D

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
I have no problem with the left side of the screen, What I do have a "small" dislike about about our gauge, is that when I want to copy and paste something over to ms word, (because of the white lettering here in the gauge) I have to go through the hassel of changing the back ground color in ms word to something other than white so that I can see what I pasted. So lets change our background color or the color of the lettering to something else , what do you think????? Just a thought!! And with my "BAD BAD" eyes it's hard for me to read black lettering on blue background, again, just a thought! As for myself, I'm happy with the way the gauge is laid out!

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
What I do, if I want to copy the text, is open a blank Notepad page, copy it there, all formatting is lost, then I copy it to MS Word and it will come in as basic black text.

I would however rather do that, as the blue on white is easier to read with my old eyes.