Does it exist?

BKlein

Ok im looking for a GP-10 but cant seem to find one do they make it and if not is there something close. My dad works at the port and he is modeling it in HO but the LHS sold him the wrong loco and I want to do it in N here is a pic I found on the net of the engine
image.jpg

Thanks
Brad

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
I think it really depends on how close you want it to be. Someone might have done a Paducah Geep in brass, but I don't know.

The low nose is really the big issue, there aren't that many low-nose GP-9s in N-scale, or at least not brass ones.

If you're not fussy about details, probably your best starting point would be a Proto GP-20, add custom paint and details... but! The fans are wrong (2 x 48" rather than 4 x 36"); the nose is wrong (factory low-nose with slope rather than rebuilt-chop-job), and you'd need to add the ox-yoke air filter.

Or you could start with an Atlas GP9, but that's a lot of work to lower the nose, build the cab front, yadda yadda yadda.

Shooter

Hey Brad,

To answer your question directly, NO. Unfortunately, there are no commercially available GP10s, or any other rebuilt Geeps in N-scale, for that matter.

The problem is that there are numerous different ways that Geeps were rebuilt, and different rebuilders called them different things, like GP7R, GP8, GP16, GP10, etc.. And what one rebuilder called a GP10 was different from what another called a GP10, which may explain why the LHS got him the wrong loco when he asked for a "GP10".

Whether or not there is something close depends on how accurate you want to be, and how much work you want to do yourself.

The only commercially available Geep with a low nose is a GP20, as seen here: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/433-7790. But that model's nose is slanted, the fans are wrong, the exhaust ports are wrong, the grilles are different, and the gas tank is different.

That engine can be kitbashed from an Atlas GP7. The basic steps would be to notch the metal frame slightly in the front. Cut a section out of the front hood to make the "chopped nose" (my method for a slightly different version can be seen here: http://home.att.net/~jcschuknecht/e28/bc-CL4611.html). Get an SD26 cab from the Atlas online parts catalog. Get the air intake detail piece (the part that sticks out on top of the long hood). You can get pieces to add the headlights, and too other minor details if you desire.

---jps

EDIT: Of course, I was writing this out while Squidbait posted his, hence the duplication.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
I was just going to say the same thing!

Great minds think alike!

... or fools seldom differ, but I like the first one better! :p :D

BKlein

Thanks Guys I had a feeling I was out of luck and I kinda wish I asked last week cause we just had a train show this weekend and I could have picked up a GP7 at a good price that I could of bashed. I guess I will keep my eye open at the LHS.

Shooter that engine looks great you did a nice job im inspired to try it now.