does anyone plan there layouts with wrecks in mind?

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
train wrecks happen to the best of us :eek:ops: today i took my commodore vanderbilt out for it's trial run on nice new big addition to the platform i did today, with my set of pullman cars a tad bit too fast and it flew off it's track and side swiped my M1005 streamliner, and the line of pullman's ended up on their sides, thankfully no damage!

... i love the smell of fresh wood paint and train smoke! :D i'll post pictures of the layout/platform when i'm done with the work :D

does anyone here plan there layouts to be in the best interest for those ugly crashes?? i hate having track turns on the edge of the platform, but for the most part i dont have a vast amount of room to make safety zones... but when i have multible tracks i do try and ensure all the trains that come close to eachother are going in the same direction soo if one would jump off it would be more of a side swipe as opposed to a head-on... also if i'm planning to run one train and not the other, i park them on the parts of the track that are least likely to be hit by a derailment on another track

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Actually I'm still planning mine out. I made a post a while back about a wreck that happened to me that left me with some reuseable part's and a busted up train. I've gotten "side tracked" on some other projects sense then but I started to cut some doors out of the locomotive so you can see the prime mover inside. Along with some banged up car's that are not safe for rail use anymore. I've been real busy lately but I'll get back to it one of these days. Won't be to far off.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I actually did, from both points of view. I kept my tracks back fom the edges of my benchwork or will built up the scenery as a natural "guard rail" against my trains taking an unexpected plunge to the concrete floor to their death.

On th eflip side, I also have a large trestle near which I plan to create a train wreck scene.
Doc