Does anyone know

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by speedless, Sep 21, 2006.

1. speedless

speedless Member

HI
    Does anyone know what happend to this site?
    http://www.cardfaq.org/faq/
    When i stated building card-models 2-3 years ago,this site was responsable
    and i MISS it!
    Jan
  2. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

3. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

4. speedless

speedless Member

Hi
    Thanks,i have used the site alot,for tips ect.Its an exelent site,higly recommendable for us newbies.
    Jan
  5. speedless

speedless Member

Hi
    Thanks,i have used the site alot,for tips ect.Its an exelent site,higly recommendable for us newbies.
    Jan
  6. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

7. n8hfi

n8hfi New Member

Does anyone know...

Yes, I know.

The hosting company is having issues--long-term consequences of hurricane damage, contracting from 3 employees to 1, &c. Frankly, I suspect Gary took a server off-line and forgot it was hosting the site. Since he wasn't charging for hosting it, grounds to complain are limited. It's looking for a new host (not a volunteer). In the meantime, as Mr. Decko points out, the "backup" site at http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/n/8/n8hfi/card-faq/ is still there.

Well, it wasn't so "pulled" as "dropped", and not by Brown. No book is planned. "Inability tom keep it up" is accurate, however. At the last point it was being actively maintained it took about 2 hours/day, 365/7. At some point, an editorial decision was made letting it stand as it is was better than updating it haphazardly. It was in peril of becoming too big and losing focus, particularly for the tips--too many and you can't find what you need. There's room for more info in the historical stuff, and in the present format it suffers horribly from link rot. Perhaps with a new host it will finally get a facelift. That's not a promise, however.
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

As for keeping it up to date... could you move it to a Wiki?
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I think a Wiki would an excellent choice. This is the kind of document that begs for multi-source collaboration. Problem as stated before of it becoming too big would of course apply here. But it's too big for one person to adequately maintain, and a lot of info has already become stale.
  10. n8hfi

n8hfi New Member

A wiki has been given a lot of thought lately. In fact, one of the criteria for a new host for the domain is supporting mediawiki (i.e. php and mysql). But the non-hierarchical nature of wiki's isn't necessarily ideal for a faq, which is intended to be dense and appropriate for beginners. Of course, you can build hierarchical indices for wiki pages. But a wiki might share one of the disadvantages of this forum--it's a resource of such great breadth it's easy to get lost looking for what you need.
  11. rickstef

rickstef Guest

You make that sound like a bad thing

i like re-reading and re-discovering ideas that have been posted.

Rick
  12. n8hfi

n8hfi New Member

I'm sorry, that wasn't my intent. This forum is a great resource, particularly for topics of special interest. But I think frequently asked questions should have easy to find answers. The Card Modelling FAQ isn't intended to be last resource on the net for paper modelers, just the first. (At one point it aspired to also be the gateway to all the other resources, but it's fallen behind on that score.)
  13. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I'm not following you here. I've done some fairly large Wiki docs and have an index at the top to jump to places within the page, or other pages, much like most FAQs I've seen. Is this what you mean?

Rick