Does anyone have a Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0?

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I just bought a Spectrum 4-4-0 "Richmond", and it should be delivered Thursday according to UPS. If anyone has one of those little feller's, could you please give me your assessment on it's performance (pro's & con's). I based my decision to purchase the 4-4-0, on the Spectrum 4-6-0 that I bought two years ago... as I have been very happy with it's performance.

Thanks, Bob

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
I have the 4-6-0 which you mention, and it's a great engine, as you know. But this is the 4-4-0 I'd love to get my hands on. Saw it at the wgh show in Portland, OR.

View attachment 35878

Don't know what the paint scheme is...guess I should go over to the Bachmann site and find out. (And my apologies for the fuzzy picture. When my son grabbed the camera that day, he must have got one of his sticky little fingers on the lens...a fact made apparant by the first half of the pictures which look fine and the second half as above.)

Lemme know how you like yours. Micro-mark has a great deal on them and I've been tempted to get one for the same reason you mentioned.

Attachments

• P1040302sm.JPG
    P1040302sm.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 50

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Galen...

My new Richmond arrived, and it's a smooth runner. Due to me building a all new layout (around-the-room type), I haven't been able to evaluate it's pulling capability, or grade climbing yet... but I'll keep her no matter what! Both the 4-6-0 and the 4-4-0 are a perfect fit on my bashed Atlas turntable....

I hope you get one.... you'll love it!!!!

Bob :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_4592 (Small) (Small).JPG
    IMG_4592 (Small) (Small).JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 51

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Galen...

My Spectrum Richmond arrived, and it is a smooth runner. Due to the fact that I tore out my old benchwork, and I'm building an all new layout (around-the-room type), I haven't been able to assess hauling power and grade climbing on the little 4-4-0, yet. Both the 4-6-0, and the 4-4-0 fit perfectly on my bashed Atlas turntable.

I am happy with what I see on the Richmond, as it has lot's of detail and can really "crawl" at low speed... I can't wait until I get a sound decoder installed in it. Hope you get one, I think you'll love it !!!

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_4606 (Small) (Small).JPG
    IMG_4606 (Small) (Small).JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4592 (Small) (2) (Small).JPG
    IMG_4592 (Small) (2) (Small).JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 47

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Gotta have it now

Okay, now I MUST have one...when funds allow. Micro-mark has the "Russia Iron" model in their offering, so that'll be the one...unless I go for the Southern Green. After all, it'll match the Sierra Cars I've got. Then again, an undec would be nice to have a clean slate for modifying the tender, etc. before painting. Ah, it's fun to dream, ain't it?

That lil bugger sure looks nice on the turntable indeed. Are you planning on lettering/weathering the engine anytime soon?

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
No, Galen... I probably will not letter my loco's, caboose, and one passenger coach until I get my new layout in place. I hope you get that Russian Iron 4-4-0 real soon.

This weekend I just finished putting in new overhead fluorescent fixtures with photo quality bulbs... boy, did that ever make a difference !!! Now the benchwork should start this week on my new "around-the-room" layout.

This is my other Montana Western lokey.... a Bachmann Spectrum 4-6-0 (DCC w/Sound)

Bob

Attachments

• Marties Photo's 162 (Small) (Small).jpg
    Marties Photo's 162 (Small) (Small).jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 20

Dansco

Feb 26, 2007
Thats a prety toy, I dont know steam, can this 4-4-0 do 18" Radius turns?

What did ya' pay for it?

Thanks

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Both the Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 and the 4-6-0 will handle 18" rad. curves nicely, and will even take the small stretch of 15" rad. track leading up to my little ore mine... I bought my 4-4-0 from Micro-Mark for $130. (they have a sale on at present...)

Bob :thumb:

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Yeah, both the Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 and the 4-6-0 will handle my 18" rad. curves nicely... in fact they will even take the short stretch of 15" rad. track leading up to my little ore mine.

I bought the 4-4-0 from Micro-Mark for $130.00.... (they have a sale on at present)

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_4541 (Small) (Small).JPG
    IMG_4541 (Small) (Small).JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 19

inqzitr

Oct 20, 2007
Iron Goat- I LOVE that turntable. I saw m. Furlow's adaptation before, but it's nice to see another one.

Don7

Dec 29, 2007
Northern BC
I have two of the 4-4-0's and am very happy with them overall. As I decided to keep my motive power on the smaller branch size. I am now in the process of getting rid of my larger engines for now. Will mothball them and decide later if I really want to get rid of them of hold on to them for some later layout. I have a collection of Spectrum 4-4-0's, 4-6-0's, 2-8-0's and 2-10-0's. Everything bigger is now off the active roster.

On a side note I had assumed this roster would fit on the standard Atlas turntable, turns out the largest engine fitting is the 4-6-0's, the others would fit if the tenders were replaced with the very small Baldwin tenders.