Does anyone get RFD-TV?

ls1gto

They have a show that comes on weekly, (mon. for me) called trains and locos. Anybody else catch it?

ls1gto

Wabash Banks said:
I do. I TIVO it.

Last weeks was great with a 1/3 scale railroad in northern california!

Tivo here also. That show last week was just cool as can be. I also enjoyed yesterdays from Long Beach piers. I get an opportunity to see so many different kinds of loco's and flags that you just dont see here in the smoky's.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Yeah, I get it on satillite and have it set to record on my Disk Network DVR, They have Trains and Locomotives, and The Train Show. I usually save the Trains and Locos, but erase the other one since I think it's poorly done and is kinda amaturish.

Every once in a while I'll wind up with an hour of a cattle auction, a tractor review or possibly a session on planting or plowing because they change the schedule without notice.:eek: :eek:

railohio

I have it but most of the shows hardly rate a second glance. The only ones I've seen worth watching are the shows produced by Highball Productions, I'm guessing originally as videotapes. The model railroad shows all seem to be very low budget and unprofessional. If that's the face people want to put on model railroading I think we can do without the publicity!

I think the Trains and Locomotives show is old video series stuff.
ls1gto, I haven't watched last nights yet. I may sneak it in tonight, but more likely it will wait a few days. I have to admit, I am just not into some of the train videos. It isn't that I don't really like trains, but the same train rolling by over and over isn't my idea of entertainment. Sometimes the scenery is great and sometimes seeing a scene repeated is helpful, but that is why I have a rewind button.....

The Train Show could use a new host. I don't really care that it is low budget. To me it is better than nothing, but a new host would be nice. Maybe one that had a personality.
They have done a few segments on the Long Island Steamers and those are pretty good shows. I would agree though that I rarely ever keep the shows. I did really enjoy the show they did with the NTRACK modules that featured animation. To me that is the redeeming point of the show in that you get to catch a few cool ideas from other folks and see some layouts you might not get to see otherwise. I wouldn't wear out a video cassette recording it every time but if it is too bad, I know how to delete it from my TIVO.

Speaking of hosts of shows....Chris Chiannelli from Workin' on the Railroad really bugs me too. He acts like he knows what he is really talking about, like he's been modeling for years, yet I have the sneaking suspicion he drew the short straw and had to host the show without much time to educate himself.
That is a show that is higher in budget, but ridiculously short. I think they maybe get 15 minutes in and the rest of the time is total commercials. Again, there is some neat stuff on there occaissonaly, and I did enjoy watching them build the River Pass layout. What I have enjoyed most though is seeing the Henry Ford Museum they shoot from occassionaly. That is cool!

Wabash Banks said:
Speaking of hosts of shows....Chris Chiannelli from Workin' on the Railroad really bugs me too. He acts like he knows what he is really talking about, like he's been modeling for years, yet I have the sneaking suspicion he drew the short straw and had to host the show without much time to educate himself.
That is a show that is higher in budget, but ridiculously short. I think they maybe get 15 minutes in and the rest of the time is total commercials. Again, there is some neat stuff on there occaissonaly, and I did enjoy watching them build the River Pass layout. What I have enjoyed most though is seeing the Henry Ford Museum they shoot from occassionaly. That is cool!

Ah! Yes.

I was quite excited. Orginally, I've only been able to see TRACKS AHEAD... and that was only reruns since that was carried on one of our basic cable stations. Flipping through our 400 never-seen-cable-channels, I came across this "DIY Network (Do-It-Yourself)" which had a show abbv. "Work Railroad." I was like WOAH!!!! Like, I was jumping up and down.

Instantaneously, I planted myself on the couch and watched this show, with Chris hosting. Now I agree 100% with everything you said Wabash, I'm just gonna say I'm glad to see this show than no show at all. But yeah, the commercials were disturbing. And the show I watched, on Bridges and Trestles made me laugh when the "Trestle Built With An EXPERT Modeler" was basically gluing a prebuilt kit. Even I can do that. :p

I want to catch the episodes on the River Pass. Already made a mental note.

Interesting. New season of TA though! January!:D

ls1gto

All good points. I agree on the quality of the programs but it is nice to just sit and watch. Its trains so me likeee:D

I totally agree Trainwhiz20, it is definately better than nothing. I don't mind the commercials since I can sip right through them, I just wish the show was longer in content.

They tend to have experts come in and do unexpert like things, such as install the prebuilt kit. Again, nothing really harsh on the show, the host and length just bug me a little.

I noticed on my TIVO that all the river pass shows are being aried again. You have missed River Pass I, it was on last night. The rest are on each night this week at 2:30am. You can catch River Pass I on 12/26 at 2:30am. The whole sequence is repeated at 6:30 pm from 12/26-12/30, that is if you are partial to sleeping at 2:30 am....
I tend to record any train shows. I know how to delete them or fast foward through dull spots. I am gratefult they are on.

I have taped a couple of interesting things recently.
A few weeks ago the History Channel did a couple of interesting railroad pieces. One was on prarie railroads and the other was on the western railroads. Had some good stuff in it. You could tell it was geared toward classroom use and wasn't real in depth on any one particular item, but it was a good show.
I also got a show from Monday night, I think, from Spike TV. Extreme something or the other. It was a show of nothing but things crashing or people doing stupid things crashing. One of the segments was a NS train doing about 10 mph hitting the trailer of a semi. It drug it over 600 feet before stopping. It destroyed a railroad signal putting that area dark and absolutely demolished the truck. We recently had a minor fender bender in my town with a train. A truck fish tailed into a car and got bounced right back off. Not major damage besides a crunched up rear quarter panel. I tried explaining how bad it was to hit a train to my 3 yr old train lover. She didn't really get it. When I showed her the video of the truck getting hit she got it! She said "Daddy! He sure is lucky that train wasn't going fast like Thomas!" Close enough to count!
Ripleys had a segment on Northlandz also. That was neat to watch.
I love the wishlist on Tivo. Once a week I can pop in and see all the shows on that have railroad or train somewhere in them. Train is a little tedious to search though, but there are some gems that turn up!