Dock Side Switcher

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by jimbogibbo, Dec 26, 2006.

1. jimbogibbo

jimbogibbo Member

Does any one know how long the lionel dock side switcher smoke unit can smoke . with the train running at about half speed.???
  2. Geno

Geno Member

The smoke unit will smoke as long as there is smoke fluid in it. After it runs out, put about 3-5 drops of smoke fluid in- it will take a few minutes to the unit to vaporize the fluid and produce smoke. If it doesn't happen after 10-15 minutes, be patient- Lionel smoke units are not the best. You may have to run the engine at high speeds to get the smoke unit to work.

Geno
  3. jimbogibbo

jimbogibbo Member

will the unit burn up if it runs out of fluid or shut off.???
  4. Geno

Geno Member

Lionel smoke units are picky little buggers- too much fluid and they'll stay off for days, too little and they could burn out. If you already put a few drops in, leave it and just keep running the engine- it should start smoking eventually. Just don't put too much, as you could make an oily mess and it will take a long time to dry out the wick.

Geno
  5. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Really?
    What happens if you don't want smoke all the time? There's no way to turn it off?
  6. Geno

Geno Member

There should be a smoke switch under the engine to turn it off. But who wants a steamer that doesn't smoke? :)

Geno
  7. Cannonball

I just want to be able to run my train if I run out of smoke and not have to worry about burning something up. ;)
  8. Geno

Geno Member

I think this Lionel engine is one of the best little units to come out of a Orange box in a long time. I bought the Copper range set just because it was such a deal, and the Docksider just makes that deal even sweeter. I normally buy only modern engines (I have no steamers), but I made an exception here. And now this little guy is my first steamer since my Dad bought me a Marx set over 35 years ago.

Geno
  9. Cannonball

I've seen that one and the US Steel Switcher as well. I'd like to get one or the other or even both.
  10. Geno

Geno Member

I was reading somewhere (CTT or OGR) how Lionel actually used a real steamer as the basis for this engine- so its actually scale model. I'm planning to TMCC it- should make for even more operating fun.

Geno
  11. Cannonball

You need to post some pics!
    BTW- Is the body diecast or plastic?
  12. jimbogibbo

jimbogibbo Member

I am trying
  13. jimbogibbo

jimbogibbo Member

I am trying to get aphoto on here taken with a
  14. jimbogibbo

jimbogibbo Member

I dont know what just went on with all that junk it is this computer. any way here goes to try to get a photo of the dock side switcher turned budweiser express.
    ps does any one know how to transfer words on to like a decall sheet .I want to turn a box car into jims budweiser express. Let me know if the photos come out or not .:wave:
  15. jimbogibbo

jimbogibbo Member

HOPE THE PHOTOS COME OUT OF THE DOCK SIDE SWITCHER TURNED bUDWEISER EXPRESS.

Attached Files:

16. jimbogibbo

jimbogibbo Member

Ok Is The Rule One Photo At A Time. Or Is This Just My Stupid Computer.?
  17. Cannonball

You should be able to load more than one at a time if you use the "Manage Attachments" button that comes up when you type a post. They can't be any bigger than 600x400 pixels though. You might have to resize them.
  18. Geno

Geno Member

Cannonball,
    Happy New Year! Sorry to not reply sooner- I went to Las Vegas for New Years and didn't even seen a computer for a week. Anyways, the Docksider is diecast- very hefty for a little lump of metal. But still nice to me.

I'm in the middle of benchwork construction so my Copper range set is buried somewhere- as soon as I can dig it out I'll shoot some pics.

Geno
  19. Cannonball

Cool. :)
    I really want to get a couple of the diecast engines. I'm still thinking about a Penn Flyer when the tax refund shows up and then either the Copper Range switcher or the US Steel one. Of course, that's just two of the many things I want. ;)
  20. Geno

Geno Member

The thing I really like about these Docksiders is that they are so much fun for so little money- not the typical buy-in that is required with a TMCC scale diesel. And you can still pick up the copper range set on Ebay for less than $180- a deal any day of the week.

I sort of regret not getting into steamers sooner, but my buds at Angel's Gate Hi-Railers (my train club) have just about every big steamer out there, so all I have to do is show up when we meet and enjoy the show. But even those guys with their $1500 steamers think the Docksider is a nice piece- most of them have one or two also.

Geno