Do your guests put their drinks on the layout?

Hunkiedoo

I haven't seen this discussed before, but I was finding it a bigger problem than cats on layouts. When guests come over you naturally opffer then a drink, pop, coffee, beer, whatever. aussie You go down to look at the layout and sooner or later the drink container ends up on your layout :curse:

Anyhow, this isn't just a rant. I have the solution!! I have placed numerous cupholders in strategic locations around the layout. They are cheap, easy to make out of scrap wood & have solved the ring-around-the-ballast problem.

Attachments

• cupholder.jpg
    cupholder.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 13

babydot94513

Member in training
I have to admit this is a neat idea, but remember that accidents happen and in the case of model railroading - liquids and models do not always mix.

JD

Glen Haasdyk

Gotta remember this one, for when I actually have guests with drinks at the layout! Maybe I'll just make one for myself.

Ray Marinaccio

Great idea.
I have found that once you get most of your scenery done that drinks on the layout isn't a problem, but the drink holder would be nice to have anyway.
Before I had the scenery as far as it is I had tools and supplies piled all over the layout.
As I progressed with the scenery I realized that the layout looked less cluttered because there wasn't any room left to set anything on it. I mentioned that to a friend. He thought I was nuts untill he started his own scenery and told me that found it to be true.

Great idea, but maybe you should include some sort of shield behind the holder to prevent, or at least minimize, spillage. This is the voice of experience speaking. Not layout, but I committed the unpardonable sin of spilling coffee on my computer last week, and it would have cost me over half the price of a new comparable computer (IBM Thinkpad) to fix it. At least now, I have a new computer!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Very nice! I hate running behind on my passenger train schedules because the morning commuter ran into a coffee cup!
Ralph

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Ray Marinaccio said:
Great idea.
I have found that once you get most of your scenery done that drinks on the layout isn't a problem, but the drink holder would be nice to have anyway.
Before I had the scenery as far as it is I had tools and supplies piled all over the layout.
As I progressed with the scenery I realized that the layout looked less cluttered because there wasn't any room left to set anything on it. I mentioned that to a friend. He thought I was nuts untill he started his own scenery and told me that found it to be true.

I'll back you up on that Ray :) Less space to put stuff because you dont want to mess up the detailing :)

I need a "Cup Holder" for the cordless phone & the Train Wireless Remote too :) :)
I'll post pics when I get the chance to build them sign1 sign1 sign1