Do You........

What do you use?

• DCC - and I wouldn't change it for anything!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cab control and proud of it

• none, I push my trains by hand, yuk yuk yuk!

• Total voters

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Me? DC.... currently (pun intended!!) :p with 4 DC controllers, block wiring switchable between the four controllers. Then when I go DCC? Just replace one of the controllers with DCC and switch all blocks on to that controller. :):) I hope I've done it right!! With a dual mainline, that should allow me to run DC on on mainline, and DCC on the other. :) Just no moving trains from one mainline to the other, while in that mode, of course. :)

But 25 + locos? bit pricey to move to DCC completely just yet......

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I'm using DC because I have a large fleet of heritage locos that can't be converted (and are collector's items) without ruining them. I also don't have the cash to convert the lot.
If I go to O gauge, it probably will be DCC.

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I'm using DigiTrax DCC because I run many trains at once, and I don't have the paticence to try to wire a layout with DC blocks. If everyone shows up at an operating session, there can be as many as 8 mainline trains running, a pair of yard engines and a local wayfreight. It might be a nightmare trying to wire that in DC, I didn't want to find out. DCC makes everything so much easier. It's great for adding more locos to a train when you need more power to make it up a hill.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Will said:Our club uses DC on the Modular N Scale layout we take to shows.
They will be using DCC on the new HO layout that is about to be started.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The club I go to is DC..The best way to start a riot is to bring up the subject of DCC during a business meeting. :eek: Of the 47 members we now have only 7 of us uses DCC on our home layouts.So fat chance we will ever see DCC at the club... :( To bad that..It would be most interesting as we have a single track with passing sidings point to point layout with CTC.

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
It's too bad the subject can cause issues among folks but it seems to ,from my experience . I run DCC at home and wouldn't have it any other way after my DC layout of a decade ago .Like anything new , DCC can be intimidating . Ten years from now I would think DCC will find it's way into the majority of situations .

Neil

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
brakie said:
The club I go to is DC..The best way to start a riot is to bring up the subject of DCC during a business meeting. :eek: Of the 47 members we now have only 7 of us uses DCC on our home layouts.So fat chance we will ever see DCC at the club... :( To bad that..It would be most interesting as we have a single track with passing sidings point to point layout with CTC.

Don't be so sure, of the members at our club, 20, I think. Only 2 run DCC at home.
The choice of DCC at the club is due to the fact that the new layout will be built in an area 44' long and 18' wide, with an extension of 30" x 96" for a staging yard. They are actually thinking of a double level layout in that area. We are trying to model the CNR line through Muskoka (Gravenhurst to Algonquin Park) in the transition era.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Wiil,We rebuilt our layout between 91-93..Its a point to point 1,255' main line with a 882(?) foot subdivision..3 yards(one with a working hump and puller crew),3 engines terminals,2 passenger terminals and two staging yards.We have two dispatchers and two CTC boards.
We operate twice a week(avg 6 hours) and no longer have work sessions but call a work Saturday as needed for maintenance.
Now,for the club to go DCC the vote must be 90% as per our Constitution for any type of changes on the club layout.This protects the club's layout and assures all members have a say by vote and not allowing any one group to rule like what happen in 89 when the club had a breakup of members that just about cause the club's demise..So,as of now I am safe in saying no DCC for the foreseeable future.
The reason being the majority feels DCC is not worth the added costs when DC is getting the job done.. :(
But,I dissent.I feel as the other 6 DCC'ers feel that DCC and sound would only enhance operations..However we are the minority that feels that way and seven votes won't change a thing.Not that we would force DCC on those that do not want it.BTW there was 8 of us but,one returned to DC on his home layout and sold his DCC system and removed the decoders from his locomotives.. :confused:
At one time "Bill" was a big advocate for DCC. :confused: :(

caboosejumper

May 29, 2003
waterloo, iowa
home.mchsi.com
DC on my n-scale and AC on the O gauge. Not anuff money for the fancy stuff. After 2 of my O-gauge loco' puking boards I think the simple method is the best now. $90.00 to fix the one loco I think the next one that dies the O gauge well be DC too. just gut the electronics out of them and run them on dc.

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
I have DCC Zephyr at home and the club layout has the Chief. As far as the subject of introducing DCC to the clubs that still run DC.... I understand that my club was first introduced to DCC on the old layout that was block controlled. they just wired one of the blocks to the system and it ended up getting a vast majority hooked even though most people were skeptical. The current layout was designed for DCC and its quite a thrill to see 8+ trains running around with exclusive control of their owners. This usually ends up with rear endings & T-bones at the diamond but it is usually well accepted with a good laugh by the club members not involved in the incident. Usually its due to the symptom of too much BSing and not enough train running. :p I even find myself guilty. :eek:ops:

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Will,There would need to be some changes made according to our 3 members that are electricians by trade...Such as a bus and feeder system that can safely handle the continuous full current.We would still need blocks due to the CTC board and passing sidings..I believe that is one of the main reasons after startup costs that the members object to.A bigger factor(I fully believe) is 90% of the members doesn't have a home layout and the club is the only place they have to run trains..Some may not have the hobby dollars to buy the decoders or the throttles.Then 70% of the locomotives on the layout is not DCC ready..So its more complicated then a simple yea or nay vote.

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
I push my trains round ana round', cause' I poor and I very stupid. :D

actually, I use DC, I voted to push em cuz this poll is like the 2004 election.