Do You Model the Alaska RR?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by riverotter, Jun 2, 2008.

1. riverotter

riverotter Midwest Alliance Rail Sys

I just came back from a rail trip in Alaska. I saw so many modeling possibilities! I especially liked the frreight car barges I saw on the ocean part of the trip. I'd like to correspond with other HO modelers interested in the Alaska RR. Thanks!
  2. riverotter

riverotter Midwest Alliance Rail Sys

I should have also said that I'd appreciate any sharing on this thread, too!:mrgreen:
  3. Uintah Dave

Uintah Dave Member

The show Tougher in Alaska on History channel has a show about it on Thursday. I do like those blue & yellow SD70s.
  4. Colton_modeler

Colton_modeler Member

A little bit - I bought one of the Bachmann McKinley Explorer sets as a kid, and I still have it as a someday superdetailing project. I've collected a bunch of reference pics over the years. I plan on building a diorama of the bridge at Hurrican Gulch and adjacent landscape to display it on.
  5. DeckRoid

DeckRoid Member

One of our club members did the same thing on his return from AK. He does N scale and bought a bunch of Alaska engines and what not.

I must admit, I am currently at my photos of the First Lutheran Church in Ketchikan and thinking of dimensions for a scratch build.
  6. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Athearn does a few Alaska RR units.
  7. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

They have some great looking diesels and passenger cars - you're right - there's some great modeling possibilities there! I wouldn't mind having one of the larger diesels running around my layout...just because.
  8. csiguy

csiguy Member

does anyone on here model the alaska railroad? if so, id like very much to see some pics of it? its one of those roads that looks very interesting, but i dont know that much about it.
  9. beamish

beamish HO & Steam Engineer