Do you model less in the summer?

How Active Are You With MRR During the Summer?

• I practically abandon my layout until the cold weather returns

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I still tinker with it, although much less than the winter months

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • About the same as in the winter

Votes: 24 42.1%
  • I'm actually more active with my model RR hobby in the summer

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.

My layout is in the basement of a 106 year old house, so obviously there is no ac, so it gets dang hot down there in the summer, I try to spent time down there but I never stay long. Ill definately spend more time on here than on the actuall train this summer.​

If you cant take the heat, get out of the train room.​

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Jun 9, 2005
Near Kansas City, MO
About the Same Year 'Round

My layout-under-construction is in a detached garage, and, although it's insulated and has its own HVAC, it's only heated to about 55 in the Winter and cooled to about 80 in the Summer. However, I hardly notice once I get in there and start working on the railroad!

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Those long summer evenings we have out here are made to order for modelling. Cool enough to be comfortable, but still warm and dry enough to let stuff dry perfectly, and the mood is just right for getting the creative juices flowing. :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Whenever the current home remodeling project is completed, and my youngest daughter's wedding is in the past, I will finally get back to modeling. Here in So Cal near the beach, the temperature doesn't change much year round. It gets colder in the winter, but not anything like the North, but we have the rainy days interspersed with warm sunny days year round. The last couple of years there has been very little rain. I think the rainy season for 2007 was only 2 1/5 inches, this year we are around 4 inches. Normal rainfall is 13 inches. To answer the question, I don't think the time of year makes any difference at all for me.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I model 365 days a year but,lose several "modeling" days to my other pursuit.Railfanning.
I use to fish but,lost interest over the last 2 years.In fact I haven't been fishing since 2006.

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Jun 9, 2005
Near Kansas City, MO
Our club layout is unheated and its too cold until about April here in MT to do any work.

Doesn't that play hob with your track, i.e., warping?

As I mentioned above, my layout is in an insulated detached garage that for reasons of economy is only heated to 55 in winter and cooled to 80 in summer. Not only does the track suffer, I've also noticed that the hardboard I used as a sub-roadbed (which I've never had problems with on previous layouts) is showing signs of mild but noticeable roller-coastering -- and I have a 2" x 4" frame with a cross-brace every 12'"!:eek:

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I chose "still tinker". In the summer there is much more to do outside, but during the day it can simply get too hot and humid to do much. At night, where the layout is now at my parents house, the mosquitos can be way too much to handle, so it helps to stay inside