Do You Know?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The Sdp40 was one of Athearn's older style "wide hood" engines designed when Athearn's motor was too wide to fit inside a scale width shell. Since Athearn bought Railpower Products and thus aquired a bunch tooling for scale width shells, they have pretty much quit making any of their old locomotives with the wide shell. I think if you get a Sd40-2 model, and a Dd40x body, and cut the "v" shaped long hood end off the Sd40-2, and graft on an appropriate length of long hood with the squared off end of the Dd40x, you could probably kit bash a Sdp40. Undecorated Athearn bodies are only about $6.00 each retail, and frequently you can find damaged bodies at swap meet tables or at train shopw very cheap. Also for the Dd40x body, Bachmann made some Dd40x's with pancake motors that are virtually worthless now. You might be able to find some of those cheap. Also Lifelike, Model Power, or Bachmann made an inexpensive Sd40-2 with pancake motor years ago which are also pretty much worthless now. If you got those models from a swap meet you should be able to get all of the bodies you would need for the kitbash for $5-$6. You haven't risked anything trying a kitbash, and if it is successful, you could power it up with an Athearn chassis.

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
Thanks russ, I knew that Athearn SDP40/SD45 was long out of production, I Will see what I can come up with as to do some train surgery. I've seen used shells at the hobby store, some do look rough but I can see what I can come up with. I've had my SDP40 scince it was new and that was 11 years ago. I'm sure I can find an SDP40 on Ebay because i've seen them on there before. I know that Atlas makes the SDP35 so i could save a few and buy one from there. anyways THANKS FOR YOUR HELP:thumb:

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
Oh good, so I don't have to go rumiging at the hobby store:D . I'll take your advice, sounds simple. Although I was planning on getting the SDP35 from Atlas.:thumb:

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
The easiest way to get a good-looking SDP40 would be kitbash an SD40 long hood onto a Kato SD45.

The SD45 has the cab in the right location (unfortunately, the SD40's cab is placed too far aft). So you cut off the longhood behind the cab, then graft on an SD40 long hood. Build up the long hood end extension with sheet styrene, and add the following Cannon parts: flat hood-end, hood doors, extra radiator fan, and grilles.

Voila! :thumb: