Do you have a favorite Smoke Fluid?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by spankybird, May 21, 2005.

1. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Do you have a favorite Smoke Fluid?

This topic came up on another thread, but I thought it should have its own thread.

I like JT Maga-Steam. If you haven’t tried it, you would be surprised how well it work. Not only does it produce a lot of smoke, it does not linger long in your train room.

It comes in about 20 different scents. In keeping peace with my wife, she likes the Bayberry Holiday and Christmas Pine. I also use the Frying Bacon in my K-line Dinner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is there link

http://www.megasteam.com/index.html

tom
  2. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Does that stuff really smell like what it says it does? i want diesel smoke ,have you tried that one?
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

The scents do smell pretty much like they say. I have the coal scent one and it smelled so much like coal, my wife informed me that if I used it again, I would need a new place to run my trains.

I old house had fuel oil heat, so I don’t have any desire to have this house smell like fuel oil and diesel. Again, I don’t think my wife would like it. As much as she lets me have with my trains, I do have to give and keep her happy too.

A friend of my has the diesel scent and he claims it is just like the real thing. BTW – his wife doesn’t like it either.

tom
  4. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Im very tempted in trying some out, So that should work in lionel units too?Too bad for 50 bucks they dont have a sampler pack, Do you know if they do give samples out?
  5. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I don't understand the $50.00????? It's $3.50 per 2 oz bottle plus shipping. SMLP is $5.00 per 2 oz. The local store that I pick it up at selles it for $3.99 per 2 oz bottle.

Did you check if there is a dealer near you??

tom
  6. Zman

Zman Member

Way cool. I say lose the wives and unplug the smoke detectors.
  7. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

yes i checked, there is no dealer near me, I would like to try all 20 scents and it would be nice if he can make a 20 scent package and if you buy all 20 you will save alittle money, i just want to try them all so even if there was 1 oz bottles that would be nice.
  8. LIRR

LIRR Member

Man thats one thing you O scalers got over us HO guys, smoke, Man If we could have allenghenys with big stacks in HO i'd be a happy man.
  9. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

I thought some company had one engine for HO with smoke,the problam that may happen is at least for me the smoke fluid some how gets on the track and with in a few days of running alot it does get the track dirty, I have not really had a problam with the engine not getting contact but the smaller in size you go you would probally have to clean the track alot,I would like to see a N scale with a smoke unit in it , Who knows maybe some day.I think out of all scales the O scales do have the best smoke unit, i have seen some G scales and even though they do produce smoke the O scale smoke units are the right size.
  10. Steamtom1

Steamtom1 Member

Funny you should ask. In fact I do have a favorite smoke fluid--Water, sometimes mixed with a little coal dust...

[​IMG]
  11. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

I like how the butane engines smell , They smell like food is cooking.Tom how is that coal engine? i have not seen it run yet.
  12. Steamtom1

Steamtom1 Member

Come to Diamondhead, or come to Michigan. I run it at the slightest provication. It smells like coal.
  13. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

I want to go to dimondhead sometime, i need too save some spending money before i go, right now i spent alot on a new 7 1/4 engine and next i will be buying a car,
  14. Steamtom1

Steamtom1 Member

15. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Cool videos, im looking at all company's now,I want a car where i can hop the car up since i work at a place that does that.
  16. Steamtom1

Steamtom1 Member

17. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

That is nice, I probally wont be getting a brand new car.Since it will be my first car,Ill just have to keep saving and see what comes up this winter/next summer
  18. Diezel

Diezel Member

I'm surprised, i didn't think you could get black smoke. Will this work in a Aristo G scale CN Dash9 perchance? black diesel smoke would be excellent.

thanks
  19. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

I just had a thought. (Stand clear everyone, these things tend to explode if not handeled properly. :D :D ) Has anyone ever tried dry ice? If it were combined with differeent materials you could possably get different colored smoke (see Back to the Future III :D ) Also, it shouldn't muck up the tracks like liquid smoke does. Just a thought.
  20. Diezel

Diezel Member

So what's the deal, can one get black smoke out of their dash 9 or similar diesel locomotive? if so, how? is it just the fluid or how it's burned?

Thanks