Do you all prefer AMI Instant Roadbed or Cork Roadbed?

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
None! I prefer to lay my track track directly on Homasote.You see Industrial switching areas has very little roadbed like you see on main lines.This can apply to my other favorite type of layout a poorly maintain branch line. :D Now if I need road bed then I will go with the cork..

Espeenut

Jul 13, 2004
Victoria BC
...depends on what kind of scene you're attempting to duplicate, I use cork to replicate modern mainline high iron, where you see regularly maintained high shouldered ballast with not a weed in sight. For industrial areas where the track is surrounded by roads and accessways I just apply the track directly to the homasote or working surface and ballast it accordingly.
...to really give something a secondery or semi abandoned look, use code 70 track, remove some of the ties, and ballast it and apply 'weeds' so you can hardly see the track above the 'crud'...this looks quite effective if done right.

Lorne Miller

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Jon the AMI is a rubber type compound, comes on a roll 30 ft. for the n-scale. Is self adhesive on both sides and can be bent both left or right and up or down at the same time and with very little effort will lay smoothly. I've not used the WS so can't comment on that. The cork I still had on hand I've used for highways.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Homasote. Cork is for wine. Which I've had a bit of. Just being silly! (But true!) Haven't used cork in years. I do use Homabed, homasote cut into roadbed like cork. Why? Because I like the option of handlaying. And homasote holds spikes bettter. Assuming that means nothing to you, I guess cork would be a good choice. Why pay more than you need to? Woodland Scenics makes a ton of cash on ground up foam, why spend outrageous sums of money on their roadbed? I guess it comes down to time versus cash. Everyone has something they are willing to spend cash on to make things easier. The same person will refuse to buy a given product, preferring to make his own. It pretty much depends on what you like to work on, doesn't it? I buy brass locos but cast my own details to save money. Can't say it makes sense!

Gary

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Bob. I have AMI roadbed on my layout now and I hate it. I can not get Ballast to stick to it. Where it does stick, it slowly comes off. Also I have to keep reglueing the track to it as it comes loose. White glue does not work well on this roadbed. I will never buy it again and stick to cork. :mad: :cry: :cry: :mad: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :mad: :mad: :mad: :cry: :cry: :cry:

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
All excellent input folks...thank you. Dick your comments have made my decission to use cork if I must use something. In the past I have just put the track right down on the base surface with good success however I have some banks to deal with this time and thought cork might solve my dilema.

Thanks again all,