Do I really need that electrostatic flocker?

Tone

Feb 12, 2007
Stuttgart, Germany
I have a cafe table layout (my first) in the works, and I visited my LHS where they were demonstrating an electrostatc flocker...
The results were amazing but so was the price ~140euros.
I realize that an electrostatic flocker enables you to have your grass upright as it would be in the real world but do I really need one?
Is there a cheaper alternative?
Can I build one? (old flash equipment, electric flyswatters come to mind as an easy source of high voltage)

Thanks for any info

-Tone

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Lee Valley (www.leevalley.com) sells a cardboard version that supposedly generates enough static, and shoots the flock at a high enough speed that most is imbedded upright in the adhesive.

If you are looking at creating something less manicured, and more "wild", you could look at doing "faux fur" grass. Member "hminky" has posted some links to his tutorials on using this technique; here's his latest: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?p=265906#post265906

Welcome to The Gauge!

Andrew

Tone

Feb 12, 2007
Stuttgart, Germany
thanks...

Thanks for the info, the faux mink grass looks nice, but as I am modelling in N it might be a hair too tall (pun intended).
I'll look into the aplicators at the website you suggested...

-Tone

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
there are diffent lengths of fur strands depending on what you buy,its the cheapest way i know of to make tll upright grass.--josh