Do all DCC systems do this?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
NCE Pro 5 AMP DCC.

Do all DCC systems do this when switching locos on the one cab control?

Using the same cab controller, I set loco1 merrily along it's way, then select another loco (loco2), that may, or may not be running along merrily elsewhere on the layout. As soon as I do anything on the cab, loco2 then sets off with the same speed/direction/settings etc as loco1. I may only wanna just turn the headlight on, on loco2, speed loco2 up a bit, maybe slow it down etc, but if loco 1 was going in reverse at speed 60, then off goes loco2 at that setting too, as soons an anything is touched/selected on the cab. Especially if loco2 is in "reverse" and loco1 was "forward".

Do all DCC systems behave like this when selecting another loco from a single cab control?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
KATY said:
Ah, no. Sounds like you have the same address for both locos.

Nope. Different addresses for each loco. The cab displays the newly selected loco number, but retains the displayed settings of the previously controlled loco. The speed/direction/function on/off of the newly selected loco doesn't change until a function/button etc is used on the cab. Then the previous locos settings seem to be issued to the newly selected loco. The previously selected loco remains doing what it was doing, even if you alter speed/direction etc of the newly selected loco, so it can't be a "same address for both locos" problem.

This is not using the "recall" function, but using the "select loco" function. I've only had it two days, and I haven't got around to the "recall" function yet. The "recall" function may also recall the speed/direction etc settings as well. Dunno yet.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Woodie: the "recall" function should only change the loco number on the hand controller. I think the settings are supposed to be stored in the black box, which you can now modify. The black box should be sending signals to each loco telling it what it's expected to do. If you get the locos rolling, using recall, even repeatedly, should not change the settings.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Steve Lancaster said:
When you set a loco on its way and change to another loco it will do whatever you have the throttle set for at that particular time.
Good Luck Steve

That's exactly what it seems to do. I have a number of "double ended" deisel locos, and different couplers on each end for use with different couplered rolling stock. So even though the loco is going "forward", DCC needs to be set to "reverse" (turn the loco around to use the alternate coupler).

So switching from one loco that was going DCC "forward" to another that was going DCC "reverse", as soon as I touch anything on the controller, WACK... what was now going forward, shoots off in reverse... and the associated pileup of cars behind it.

Is this "feature" of "select loco" unique to NCE, or do other DCC systems do it to?

I've solved it to some extent by setting up acceleration/deceleration so at least the newly selected loco will decelerate slowly, and then slowly accelerate in reverse, giving a few seconds to adjust speed/direction etc of the newly selected loco to what you want without causing the sudden shunt into reverse, or instantaneously off at the speed of a jumbo jet!. Different locos, of course, vary greatly in their speed even when the same "DCC speed step value" is applied to them.

I've set acceleration up pretty high, and it takes a good 30 seconds to reach full speed, (from stop) and deceleration to about 5 seconds to stop (from full speed).

This is a common 'problem' with most DCC systems, seems that manufacturers think that you'll simply select one loco on your throttle and won't change to another untill you've stopped the first.
Get loco 1 running, change to loco 2 and it runs of at the same speed and direction as loco 1, a quick rush to the speed and direction controls to get things under control hopefully before any collisions. Sound familiar?
To my knowledge this is a 'problem' exists with all NCE, MRC/Gaugemaster, ZTC, Roco, and Flieschmann DCC systems, it also exists with all Lenz systems exept the Set 100, Digitrax have taken steps to eradicate the problem on their Zephyr and it isn't a problem on any other Digitrax system.

So no the 'problem' doesn't exist with all systems, but is quite common.

BTW, while it may be a problem for those trying to use the various systems, they do all work as intended by the manufacturer.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Woodie, The fact that I've never heard of this problem and that it is a serious drawback makes me think something is wrong, I suggest you check out the Yahoo group for NCE, I bet you'll get your answer quickly. I ran once on a layout using NCE and we ran several trains using the recall function with none of the problems you mention. Seemed very straight forward too.

Gary

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Problem solved. :thumb: :D

The main cab controller has a "recall" function. recalls up to 6 locos that you've used previously. (can be set between 2 - 6 recalled locos). It also recalls the cab settings you had at the time. Just press "recall" and cycle through all the previous
locos. :eek: :thumb: