DN163 decoder on Lifelike F40 problems

chapmro

Jan 8, 2007
I installed a Digitrax DN163 decoder on a Lifelike F40. The installation went easily, since the F40 uses wires from the wheel pickups to the motor and bulb, but after installation the F40 was _slow_ (no buzzing, just very slow). I checked every wire (I have installed numerous decoders before successfully). The light works as it should, the engine reverses fine, and it does move in both directions, just about half as fast as it did on DC. I modified the speed table, tried 14 vs 128 step throttle, but couldn't get any improvement. I even uninstalled the decoder and wired it for DC again, worrying I had somehow damaged the motor during the decoder install, and it ran fine on DC. What did I do wrong? Someone told me the problem is because this loco uses a "pancake" motor?

Yours,
Richard

chapmro

Jan 8, 2007
Just an update -- I found out what a pancake motor is, and this loco doesn't have one -- it has the usual center-mounted motor with two shafts that go to worm gears that drive the wheels in both the front and rear trucks.

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
I have a similar issue w/ my f7 i put a digitrax decoder into. I think there is a cv that controls the max voltage. I'l do a little more hunting around after i get my layout back together and see if that cv is the solution.

chapmro said:
I installed a Digitrax DN163 decoder on a Lifelike F40. The installation went easily, since the F40 uses wires from the wheel pickups to the motor and bulb, but after installation the F40 was _slow_ (no buzzing, just very slow). I checked every wire (I have installed numerous decoders before successfully). The light works as it should, the engine reverses fine, and it does move in both directions, just about half as fast as it did on DC. I modified the speed table, tried 14 vs 128 step throttle, but couldn't get any improvement. I even uninstalled the decoder and wired it for DC again, worrying I had somehow damaged the motor during the decoder install, and it ran fine on DC. What did I do wrong? Someone told me the problem is because this loco uses a "pancake" motor?

Yours,
Richard