DN 1/700 Dreadnought

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
My DN Dreadnought is finally near ready for shipping out. Latest photos in my personal album. This was great fun and an excellent project for honing rookie skills......and ya can't beat the price! Thanx Roman, for gettin me hooked!!............

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Thanx for the compliments. I have built plastic on and off for a number of years but this is my first full build in paper.......and I'm hooked......another convert! Next project....one step up in size, the JSC 1/400 Indianapolis. I understand it's an old kit, but looks pretty straight forward. It will fit in my display case and looks not so complicated to get me discouraged, aside from being one of my favorite subjects. I'm an ex tin-can sailor and would kill for a Gearing destroyer in card! Regards to all.....

Ed

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Ed! :D

Yep, it's easy to get hooked, isn't it? :lol:

Go for the JSC Indianapolis, even if it's an older design. I have this kit and that essentially means the graphics are not as crisp as they are today, but, no matter, it makes a nice looking ship.

If you haven't built a JSC design yet just make sure you study the drawings (the illustrations aren't very detailed, just the usual profile and top views) and try to visualize the fitting of the formers which create a box to which the printed parts are then glued. It's a different construction method than what you just did, which is the egg crate method, but this box method does created a surprisingly strong base upon which the ship is built around. If you have any problems figuring it out, let me know and I will try to explain it a bit better based on that kit, which I have on the shelf somewhere. I usually spend a few days just looking over the sheets and trying to imagine building it in my mind before I start to cut things out...that's very helpful particularly with building the basic hull and internal supports.

Most of all, enjoy and have fun putting her together...if the Dreadnought is any indication you should have little if any trouble on Indianapolis...and post some photos as you build her if you can. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

emayday

Jun 27, 2005
Dunedin, Florida
Hi Jim

I really appreciate the helpful comments....and WOW...just finished reading the full thread on your SS Krakow. What a wealth of information, accompanied by great photos. Still learning how to navigate and use this site, but having great fun.

Will definitely start the Indy soon and try to emmulate your great photo posts!

What's your next project?

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Hey cool build! :D And I like the pictures too! :D

Boy...........another ship guy. :(

john

Great job for your first build.........nobody could tell what my first build was! :? Skyray..........I tell you it's a Skyray......... YES.......it is an airplane.........and oh yeah it's also made of paper!

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Ed! :D

I'm glad you enjoyed my venture with KRAKOW. It was a real fun model to build, even with all the mistakes I made along the way. :lol:

As to my next project, right now I'm playing around with Nobi's T-55 model under the Armor build forum, stumbling along while I get more info on this tank and making adjustments along the way...again, just a lot of fun to play around with, and a very nice design by Nobi!

I still have to finish up Constitution, which is really in need of some attention, but I think I will also work on another merchant ship, just not sure which one. I want to build a more modern one this time, maybe another JSC model such as the GDANSK or OLIWA...while I wait for the MARY ARCTICA containership to come in...I don't know, I just love playing around with those little guys, once the formers are squared away and the basic templates attached they are just loads of fun to build and add to. I still want to continue with a few builds of Yuki Yuji's designs, maybe upscaled to 1/400 from 1/700, just to fit into the scale of my fleet so far...slowly but surely working up to building his fantastic carrier complete with it's air wing...got to have my head examined, but at least it's a plan of sorts, for now. :lol:

Really looking forward to your Indianapolis!

Cheers!

Jim

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
emayday,

Great build, great pics. My Dreadnought may now be altering course with a direct heading to the trash can, hehehe.

Cheers,
Brad