DJs help pls...

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by SpArKeY_STi, Aug 29, 2004.

1. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

Just found a way around all my Crossfader problems...

for 150USD, i can buy a fader knob kit. Its a faceplate and replaces all your crossfaders with knobs. Then when im clubbing or practincing mixing, i can instal that, then when i want to scrach i dont have to worry about saving the fader some abuse!

Wow... now i cant wait to get some money...

OW! Hit a bump in the road... the 175 is now the 180... know if theres much of a difference between the two?
  2. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

Welp, i got a stero reciver, and its eather pushing more then i can handle, or my speakers are blown. So im going to build new speakers. My question is is, do tweeters have a differnce in DC and AC? cause i can get like 20 tweeters for $3, and a 8'' paper cone high power sub (200W) for 7.9, and was going to build my own. would that work?

Or should i just buy some Pyramid ( i know what you said, but i can buy this stuff whole sale) 250 watt 8 OHM monitors, or some Pyramid 200W speakers pre built for 36 a pair?

Its only going to be played in my house, but i think my reciever my aunt gave me is like a 300Wx 2.
  3. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Member

As for speakers get whatever is cheap, untill you start producing and needing a good spectrum of sound if they work then they are good. Think about it, any club or venue you would play is usually 50k watts of pure distorted treble and bass if you can hear it thats all that matters :)
  4. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

I got me some speakers, got my set up working, and my mom got her taxes in! So mixer here i come! Whats a really good mixing mixer. Im going to buy a new crossfader for my DM950 and use that for scratching. So now i just need a mixer. Should i go with the 175 still? Or should i get a Rm100? Or i was really looking at the numark DXM06. Gemini PS-03 looks alright, also their PS-02 (if the 03 is more then i think it costs)

So out of...

Vestax PCV-175
    Vestax PCV-170
    Vestax PCV-180
    Stanton RM-100
    Stanton RM-88
    Stanton RM-22
    Numark DXM06
    Numark DM3001X
    Numark DM3003X
    Numark DXM09
    Gemini PS-02
    Gemini PS-03

Out of those, whats best just for MIXING? Of course, if i cant get all the money, and you said DXM09 or such, then ill probly just get the 06 as its basicly the same, just cheaper.
  5. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Member

OK for general mixing I would honest say go with the stanton mixer only because ive used my 100 for years, but most will tell you to stay away from them because of there crossfaders. However trust me ive abused mine and it works good the rotary dials upgrade is a nice option to which you won't find on many mixers.

The vestax mixers the 175 or 180's are both good mixers I dont think you will go wrong, just decide on if you want a full 19" rack mixer, which can come in handy later on with other accessories such as cd players etc or a smaller 2 or 3 channel mixer.
  6. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

Ok, im going for a RM-100. In 2 weeks i should have it.
  7. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

Well, i ordered it friday, so it should be here tommarow or the next day, i just gota hurry and make my darn dj table now, my old one was to wobbley and wouldnt fit the 19in mixer.
  8. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Member

You wont be dissapoined, I still have and use mine on a daily basis at my home "studio" for years and it never fails to love me back :)
  9. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

I bought it because of BINGO. won the money for it. Now i just have to buy records to mix on it, other then new school and battle / break records :?
  10. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

Wow. this mixer is amazing! I bought a used one (only $180) and you can tell. Its just got minor ware and tear from use, and its got a bunch of poopy stickers i have to take off. But ill get pics of my whole set up now when i get my table put togeather.
  11. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

Uh oh, does the crossfader sort of leak threw on cue, or do i need a new fader? If so, im just going for dials. I have my DM for "scratching"
  12. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

I just got logic... can you explain a bit to me how it works. As im confused... it seems as tho it just composes music using MIDI controlers, is that true? If so im going to be mad as i dont have a midi controler yet.

Also, what made you go with the roland jp8080? Im plaing on getting a machine for my birthday, but im not sure what im really looking for..
  13. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

YEY! I got everything working for my turntables now. I can record to tape, then ill just have to deal with that :lol: Ill figure out and work with getting it to CD later, but for now tape is good. My scratching is really good, and im OK at mixing. I just need to work at Beatmatching and "reading the crowd" Also, i just need friggin tips on mixing the songs. I know of cutting (AKA Choping) Using the EQ, and well, thats about it. So, looks like i got a long way to go.
  14. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Member

Best tip I will give you is buy two records of the same song and try to match them up. Listen for one consistant beat depending on the style of music and get those two to match together then work on blending back and forth...

Dont worry about trying to cut and scratch till you can beatmatch as thats the key to mixing any style of music...
  15. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

Scrathing is just fun tho. I just go crazy with it. I dont do a set or anything of it, i just find a nice beat, and sample, and have fun with it.

I have two copys of two records, Gwen - Rich Girl, and Mix Master Mike - Bangzilla. So trying to beat match those would work, its just different from techno. As far as my beatmatching skills, i usually have trouble due to the fact that i try to go from something around 135ish, to a 145. Thats quite the jump let me tell you. I need to BPM my records, but whats hard is i have German Made Records and such from the UK that some some WEIRD RPM. So im not sure how to start those in, 33 RPM is to slow, 45 is to fast, and so to compensate i use pitch, but it has to be a +- 10% at all times, so i dont have much play with that. Any suggestions for that?
  16. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

The joys of input levels >_<

Recoreded a TWO hour session... NONE OF IT GOT ON THE TAPE! Forgot the set the Input levels :roll: Whoops... chalk it up to learning eh? Oh well, at least now i have a good idea of how much a suck really. I got one PERFECT mix tho. of course it wasnt recorded, but hey, i heard it; and i was proud!

Know of a really good way to learn new techniqes and such. I've been praticeing beat matching, but all i can do is slide the crossfader and play with eq's, i dont know any other mixng techniques really. I just need a suggustion on some good DVD's, i already have the Compete DJ's guid.
  17. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Member

Let me tell you this honestly, you can beatmatch a square and a circle if you practice long enough. It is hard beatmatching, the key is to find a common beat in the song, every bit of music is made on the same structure.

It goes 4, 8,16,32,64 on everyone one of those notes you will find something being added or subracted from the song.

Your typical house song is done up like a four on the floor type song, a bass beat on every note. Drum and bass is 2,4 with snares on every second and fourth beat. Breaks, little bit different but follows the same pattern that hip hop does in that it can shift at anytime but will do it on one of the above beat counts....

Now you want some scratching here ya go....little something I recorded just for you :)

Comming up in about 5 min...
  18. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Member

19. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

BAM!

Heres my babies! Numark 1625's accoumpanied by a RM-100

[​IMG]
  20. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Member

Ah ha! Got it to work. I can save my work on tape, then transfer it to computer, and then CD. SO i can have my Original, Digital, and CD copys of my work! Heres a scratch session i did real quick to test it... i know it sux, I need new needles, and i just was seeing if i could get it to work..

These Rules

Its DJ Rectangles "Ultimate Battle Breaks Vol. 1" on both tables...