DIY Containers?

Mrplow123

Jul 14, 2006
Hayward California
Unfortunatly I don't have any templates, I do have a few of each size in N-scale. I would be willing to make some measurements if that would help. This does sound like a great idea. I would be interested to know how you make them and from what material. I have decided to build a larger container yard on my revised layout. And after seeing how much the average price is(about 8-10 bucks for 2) I would love to make my own. Let me know how it goes.

Mrplow123

Jul 14, 2006
Hayward California
Thanks guys for the helpfull links. I am going to pick up some card stock today and build a few of these to see how they turn out. This is going to save me a TON of money. And thanks jflessne for sending me those PDF's, I just need to figure out how to scale them down to N. :thumb:

norbtach

Jul 19, 2006
Mrplow123 said:
Thanks guys for the helpfull links. I am going to pick up some card stock today and build a few of these to see how they turn out. This is going to save me a TON of money. And thanks jflessne for sending me those PDF's, I just need to figure out how to scale them down to N. :thumb:
Download them into Photoshop or PaintShopPro and resize them. If you have done so, print them. If you have built some, please send me a photo, so I can see what you did and place it on my website.
Greetings Robert, webmaster and construtor of all those containers

jflessne

May 10, 2006
Hot Arizona
www.azlivewire.com
Robert great site!

norbtach said:
Download them into Photoshop or PaintShopPro and resize them. If you have done so, print them. If you have built some, please send me a photo, so I can see what you did and place it on my website.
Greetings Robert, webmaster and construtor of all those containers

Mrplow123

Jul 14, 2006
Hayward California
Here they are.

Well after finding out I could buy a new All-In-One printer for the price of replacement ink for my current printer, I got some of the containers made. It took a little playing around to get the images resized, but I figured it all out. I have only made a few so far, but they are really easy to do. I printed them on 110# card stock from Office Depot. The first one I did I tried cutting it out with scisors, and then fold it in to shape. That turned out to be a pain, took way too long and couldn't get the folds right. So I used a metal straight edge and an Xacto and cut them out on a metal surface. Went way faster, they for the folds I lightly scored the card stock with the Xacto, just cutting the surface. Then they folded great, and the lines look sharp and great. Here are the pics of the finished product. just looking at them from a foot or 2 away, you can't tell the difference. If you inspect closer yuo can tell they are not plastic, but they look great. By them selfs with out any plastic containers next to them, they look like the real thing. So I am thinking of not sing any of my plastic ones, and just using all paper. That way they don't contrast each other. Let me know what you think. And if anyone wants any specific container images resized to N, let me know.

In the first pic, you can tell which ones are real and fake, but you have to look.

Attachments

• Homemade4a.jpg
    Homemade4a.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 420
  • Homemade5a.jpg
    Homemade5a.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 418
  • Homemade1a.jpg
    Homemade1a.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 418
  • Homemade2a.jpg
    Homemade2a.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 410
  • Homemade3a.jpg
    Homemade3a.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 413

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
For low relief back-scenes print, stick to a sheet of "thick-ish "balsa, fold top and sides (where they show) around the ends, trim and place against the backing board, build stacks 3, 4, 5 high. It is also worth doing a googly image serch for pics of containers, resizing them and sticking them flat on the backscene, you can get some surprisingly good effects. You'll find end-on stacks there too
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands