distance between tracks?

joeymanko

Hello Everybody:

I am designing a new 0 gauge layout with Gargraves track. I am doing parallel tracking, and I can't seem to find
cool.gif
the safe distance between tracks. Can anyone tell me?

Thanks,

Joey

ezdays

Out AZ way
There are several discussions here on track-to-track spacing. Try this one, and if it doesn't do it for you, try going to the "search" function and look for threads that have "track to track spacing". If the scale is different, then just convert from whatever scale they're discussing.

pgandw

A lot of clearance information for 3 rail O depends upon the equipment you are running. The O27 and "Traditional" rolling stock is quite a bit smaller than some of the full O scale equipment being produced today.

Clearance on straights could go as small as 3.5 inches (center to center) for most all equipment. But that won't leave you room to stick you fingers in between for rerailing or other adjustments, nor does it leave room for any accessories.

Clearance on curves is dependent on both the curve radius and length of equipment - this determines the overhang, which will be critical. Long passenger cars and articulated boilers have more overhang than other equipment. I notice the Atlas 3 rail track system uses 4.5 inch radius difference between each set of curved track. I would use that as the absolute minimum.

Hope this helps.

Russ Bellinis

I'm not familier with "O" tinplate, but have noticed that some of the equipment has a lot of over hang. I would run your engine with the longest overhang through a corner, and stop it in the center of the curve. Measure the amount of overhang to the outside of the curve, then add a little more to be safe and that should be your track spacing on curves.