Displaying models

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by jasco, Apr 23, 2006.

1. jasco

jasco Member

What kind of display do most of you use for showing off your work? My models end up on a shelf where dust/sun/cats ruin them and they are thrown away after about 2 years. Too much of my soul goes into some of them to just let time take its toll. I have some plastic models that have been hanging from my shop ceiling for 20 years and all they require is an occasional rinsing off in the sink. I don't think that's a very good technique for paper!
  2. jasco

jasco Member

What kind of display do most of you use for showing off your work? My models end up on a shelf where dust/sun/cats ruin them and they are thrown away after about 2 years. Too much of my soul goes into some of them to just let time take its toll. I have some plastic models that have been hanging from my shop ceiling for 20 years and all they require is an occasional rinsing off in the sink. I don't think that's a very good technique for paper!
  3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

It's kind of funny you should ask, jasco, I was wondering if I should share this with you all and since you asked...

My Wife just bought 2 of these display cases from Ikea. They are solid oak with a solid oak veneer backing, glass shelves and glass doors.The dimensions are; 18-3/4" X 18-3/4" X 6-1/2". They came unassembled (10 minutes assembly time each) but they include an allen wrench, the only other tool required is a hammer to drive nails for backing. They also came unfinished, I am leaving mine unfinished. The price for two of them delivered by UPS was $60.00. I LOVE MY WIFE !!! !!!
  4. thewoodengraver

It's kind of funny you should ask, jasco, I was wondering if I should share this with you all and since you asked...

My Wife just bought 2 of these display cases from Ikea. They are solid oak with a solid oak veneer backing, glass shelves and glass doors.The dimensions are; 18-3/4" X 18-3/4" X 6-1/2". They came unassembled (10 minutes assembly time each) but they include an allen wrench, the only other tool required is a hammer to drive nails for backing. They also came unfinished, I am leaving mine unfinished. The price for two of them delivered by UPS was $60.00. I LOVE MY WIFE !!! !!!
  5. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

@ jasco, an example for shipmodels..........

it was a test, some plastic glass, a piece of wood and some wooden bars and finished.......:)

have a look:
    [​IMG]

best FLU
  6. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

@ jasco, an example for shipmodels..........

it was a test, some plastic glass, a piece of wood and some wooden bars and finished.......:)

have a look:
    [​IMG]

best FLU
  7. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

and another one............

best regards FLU

[​IMG]
  8. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

and another one............

best regards FLU

[​IMG]
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hey Phil,
    I love the Ikea cases. I am definately going that route.

Nothing to do with this thread but..., where did you get the house model on the left side of the bottom shelf? It looks awfully familiar for some reason.

Russell
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hey Phil,
    I love the Ikea cases. I am definately going that route.

Nothing to do with this thread but..., where did you get the house model on the left side of the bottom shelf? It looks awfully familiar for some reason.

Russell
  11. thewoodengraver

12. thewoodengraver

13. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

most of the models i build get photographed and then put into storage containers. the only time they are really displayed is on a gaming table. there can be quite an audience at times! some (a few) are displayed on a shelf of a stackable bookcase. an antique one, with the glass in front that lifts up and slides back. i like the ikea display shelves too though. the price is right and you don't have to worry about ruining it's value by modifying it with "creative" lighting.... those are nice displays.
  14. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

most of the models i build get photographed and then put into storage containers. the only time they are really displayed is on a gaming table. there can be quite an audience at times! some (a few) are displayed on a shelf of a stackable bookcase. an antique one, with the glass in front that lifts up and slides back. i like the ikea display shelves too though. the price is right and you don't have to worry about ruining it's value by modifying it with "creative" lighting.... those are nice displays.
  15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thanks Phil,
    I've been racking my brain trying to figure that model out.:razz:
    Thanks for the link, I love that model!
    Russell
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thanks Phil,
    I've been racking my brain trying to figure that model out.:razz:
    Thanks for the link, I love that model!
    Russell
  17. jasco

jasco Member

Aha! Ikea shelves! At 30 bucks a pop I hope Ikea is able to keep them in stock long enough for me to buy one. Thanks for the great ideas.
  18. jasco

jasco Member

Aha! Ikea shelves! At 30 bucks a pop I hope Ikea is able to keep them in stock long enough for me to buy one. Thanks for the great ideas.
  19. rickstef

rickstef Guest

20. rickstef

rickstef Guest