Display/storage

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I have done little since the beginning of the year except things that were associated with moving. One of the first things that got packed were my train things and my workshop tools. The first thing to get unpacked was my tools, the last was my train things. We declared ourselves "settled" in our new house when we were able to park one vehicle in a two car garage two nights in a row. This means that I can now spend some time getting my trains running and working on my layout again. :thumb: :thumb:

One thing that did happen between the time we sold one house and moved into the other was that my collection of trains tripled. Yeah, I think I mentioned a few months ago that I bought two layouts. I kept the small one and donated the other to Ray Marinaccio so he can work with the kids up in Prescott, but I did keep all the engines and cars. I am now faced with finding a way to store and/or display about 60 engines and close to 300 cars, all N scale.

The question is, what would you recommend as the best way to keep track :p of my engines and cars. Do most of you keep your equipment in their orignial boxes, in display cases, on layouts, in suitcases, hidden from view, prominently displayed or how? :confused: :confused: :confused: I could take a poll here but I'd rather hear personally from you all. :wave: :wave:

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
ezdays said:
One thing that did happen between the time we sold one house and moved into the other was that my collection of trains tripled. Yeah, I think I mentioned a few months ago that I bought two layouts. I kept the small one and donated the other to Ray Marinaccio so he can work with the kids up in Prescott, but I did keep all the engines and cars. I am now faced with finding a way to store and/or display about 60 engines and close to 300 cars, all N scale.

Here's what I use. It holds 45 cars nicely. It won't hold passenger equipment or a Mallet, but handles most engines and freight ok. a few of these should work for your stuff.

abd.jpg

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
This is what I use in HO. Of course, having a relative that is a cabinet maker helps!
abh.sized.jpg

I bolted it to the wall opposite the layout for quick access to the trains. It originally had some glass doors but they were too cumbersome and blocked the view of the trains inside.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Hi Don,
I have my locos and rolling stock packed away in the original boxes or individual home made cardboard boxes that are stored in cabinets and drawers.
I like how Glen has his displayed. When people come over they can see trains instead of a bunch of cardboard boxes.
Another problem with the individual box idea is you have to fumble around with taking things in and out of the boxes when you rotate your rolling stock to and from your layout.
Is dust a problem in Surprise? It is up here. Everything left out gets a nice layer of dust.
I'm hoping to get some Ideas from this thread as well.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Ray Marinaccio said:
Hi Don,
I have my locos and rolling stock packed away in the original boxes or individual home made cardboard boxes that are stored in cabinets and drawers.
I like how Glen has his displayed. When people come over they can see trains instead of a bunch of cardboard boxes.
Another problem with the individual box idea is you have to fumble around with taking things in and out of the boxes when you rotate your rolling stock to and from your layout.
Is dust a problem in Surprise? It is up here. Everything left out gets a nice layer of dust.
I'm hoping to get some Ideas from this thread as well.

Yeah, there are two good ideas here, I never thought of using parts cabinets, I guess I should have kept the ones I sold at the yard sale I had before we moved. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :curse: :curse: I too like Glen's display case.

I think dust is a problem anywhere in Arizona, but one thing I got going for me here in Surprise is that I now have everything inside the house, not in the garage like I had in Wickenburg. :thumb: :thumb:

I'm anxious to see what others are doing. Like you, I think we can all learn from how others do this.

Don

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I like Glen's cabinet. If you can make your own furniture, I would suggest a cabinet with sliding glass doors to help keep out the dust. I think sliding doors would be less intrusive than swing out doors.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Glen Haasdyk said:
If anyone want's the dimensions of my cabinet, just ask and I'll post them

Thanks Glen. It would be helpful, but for me I run N scale so I'm gunna need to scale accordingly. I'm thinking more like getting twice as much as opposed to half the size. :D One question: do you have track on each shelf? It's hard to tell from your pic.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Yes I have track on each shelf, I don't like resting my rolling stock on the flanges. each shelf holds a length of flextrack withabout 6" to spare. The second shelf from the bottom holds my HOn3 equipment.
The unit's outside dimensions are: 4' wide, 32" tall and 4 1/2" deep. The shelves are 3 1/2" deep and spaced 4" apart.

Oh yeah, as a side note I do have other rolling stock in boxes, lined with foam. Just my favorites are in the display case

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
How 'bout a nested box/footlocker? I use this for storage. Since most of my equipment is rescued/used/restored, less than 10% have a box to store in. The bottom of each box is padded and, of course, major moves require individual wrapping of each piece. This way, they are all readily accessable and ready to roll. By using a foot locker, there is a nice dust seal built right into it.

Attachments

• storage.jpg
    storage.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 116

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Shaygetz,

Good thought as well. Vern Niner has shallow drawers under his layout, kinda like what you put draftsman's drawings in and all his cars were presented and stored that way. Not a bad way to go, but as I remember, those cabinets aren't cheap and are fairly big. I gotta ask him where he got his since they weren't as deep as a drafting cabinet.

Clerk,

On logging in, maybe you don't have your system set up to receive cookies.. :confused: :confused: