Display Cases?

TampaTrainDude

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Has anyone built display cases for their rolling stock and engines? I need to build one and wondered if anyone had any good ideas other than what I see advertised for hundreds of bucks in Model Railroader. Any ideas?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I just brought a thread to the top that held considerable discussion on this subject a few weeks ago. I just thought of a discussion that a few of us had at my local hobby shop. A fellow was trying to find display cases for an A-B-B-A set of f units and for a Kato S.P. buisiness car and a GS4. The cases at the hobby shop weren't long enough for the GS4 if I remember correctly. My friend behind the counter suggested going to a Home Depot or Lowes and look for a clear cover for a shop florescent light tube. An 8 foot clear acrylic u shaped cover would make a good start on a display case.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Hi TrainDude, In spite of being inept at woodwork (not joking), I decided to build such a display case. It is fairly simple to make if you have access to a mitre saw for the corners of the outer frame.
The drawings I made are metric dimensioned.
The internal dims of mine is 44" wide x 23" high.
It turned out quite presentable. If you're interested I can send details to you.
The photo of it here shows what it can hold. I have HO, HOn3 and N tracks within the unit.
I, like you shudder at the price of the commercially produced ones.

Errol

Attachments

• ho-roster.jpg
    ho-roster.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 219

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
For another twist on the "display case", I've built several of these "shadowbox dioramas, which can be hung on the wall, or set on a shelf, or furniture, & are a great place to "park" locos & rolling stock...(& they're great fun to build! :) )

Attachments

• shadowbox.jpg
    shadowbox.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 197

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
I love that one of yours Charlie. If I remeber correctly it is only a couple of inches deep. Some day I'll have to build one myself.
It's quite amazing just how much atmosphere can be put into such a small space.

Errol

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Yes, ---- I am all in favour of seeing more of these tiny little gems.

Shamus
waver.gif

satokuma

Jul 8, 2002
Tualatin, OR
Totally agree with Shamus and others...more shadowbox dioramas. what a great idea...trying out new ideas, experience with scenery..."park" for some stock not being used but still visible..I imagine that these could eventually be incorporated into a larger layout. A good beginning for those that have not started a layout....looks like good rainy day fun....

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks for the kind words!
Sorry, I only have two here at my house...
I gave one to my father-in-law, sold two to a friend of his, & gave one to the Ky Ry Museum.
Here's the other one I have here...the dimentions of this one are, 16"x8", & 5" deep. The one in the earlier post is 24"x14", & 5" deep.
I keep both of these on a shelf in the living room, & they generate LOTS of comments!

Attachments

• mvc-003f.jpg
    mvc-003f.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 121