Disney's "Jack Sparrow's Compass"

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by hapes, Oct 23, 2006.

1. hapes

hapes New Member

So, my first paper model, just thought I'd post the results of my build, and give some comments about the consruction, in case someone wants to build it.

Here's the link, and be aware that they rotate models out, and this one has the potential to be rotated out.

http://www.disneyexperience.com/models/compass_model.html

There is a 4 page instruction book, although one page is the title page, and has no actual directions for construction. Not to say it's not necessary, mind you.

There are three sheets of parts, with some smaller parts being inside areas you cut out for other parts (i.e. on the top, you attach a dome to a hole in the center of a piece - inside the hole you cut out is one of the rings that you put together to make as the handle ring). I didn't have any problem with this.

(Alas, I did not take any photos of the process)

First thing you do is build the two domes (an inside one with stars on it and an outside one that's all black). I was initially concerned with the shape of my domes, but it basically worked out in the end.

Build the two halves of the top (inside and outside)...and then connect the two parts with another piece. A suggestion for this step: Attach the connecting piece to the outer piece first, and then slide the inside piece into the new unit.

The bottom framework is a piece of cake, but then come the little fiddly bits.

Step 1 is to build the base upon which the compass pointer can spin (yeah, it spins...more on that later). The key to this is the toothpick you use. The directions say 'cut it at 1.5 cm'. Well, I couldn't find a metric ruler in my house (not that I looked very hard). So, a little math, worked out to approximately .59 inches. So, I scored my toothpick on all sides, then ...well, the first time, I pushed really hard, and the toothpick end shot somewhere across the room. The SECOND time, I picked up the toothpick and broke it on the score line.

Remember I said it can spin? Now it's later. When they said 1.5 cm, they MEANT 1.5 cm. Even a smidge more and your compass pointer (which is actually a disc) is pinned against the angle indicator, and doesn't spin very well.

The directions state you should make the cone with rests on the toothpick, and then on a LEVEL surface, glue the compass pointer disc on it so that it also is level. Well, this is non-trivial. The cone was not a pure cone, which could be my failure...and gluing the disc on a level plane was basically non-trivial and for my purposes not really necessary, since I'm not intending to use it for real.

Next is attaching the static pointer (gnomon) and its support beams to the base of the compass. A point about the support beams. I glued them on according to the directions...and they didn't reach their attachment points. So I had to carefully cut the supports off and reglue a smidge (be VERY precise about this smidge) further out. But, then it stuck just fine.

The last steps were to attach the hinge on the back, and the latch on the front. The hinge didn't quite cover all the white indicating where to glue it. Again, probably was my inaccuracy. I just figured out that I didn't follow the directions for the latch, which explains why it didn't glue properly.

Anyway, 4 pics of the completed model:

Front, closed:
    [​IMG]

Back, closed:
    [​IMG]

Inside top, open:
    [​IMG]

Inside bottom, open:
    [​IMG]

[EDIT: Finally got the pictures working.]
  2. hapes

hapes New Member

So, my first paper model, just thought I'd post the results of my build, and give some comments about the consruction, in case someone wants to build it.

Here's the link, and be aware that they rotate models out, and this one has the potential to be rotated out.

http://www.disneyexperience.com/models/compass_model.html

There is a 4 page instruction book, although one page is the title page, and has no actual directions for construction. Not to say it's not necessary, mind you.

There are three sheets of parts, with some smaller parts being inside areas you cut out for other parts (i.e. on the top, you attach a dome to a hole in the center of a piece - inside the hole you cut out is one of the rings that you put together to make as the handle ring). I didn't have any problem with this.

(Alas, I did not take any photos of the process)

First thing you do is build the two domes (an inside one with stars on it and an outside one that's all black). I was initially concerned with the shape of my domes, but it basically worked out in the end.

Build the two halves of the top (inside and outside)...and then connect the two parts with another piece. A suggestion for this step: Attach the connecting piece to the outer piece first, and then slide the inside piece into the new unit.

The bottom framework is a piece of cake, but then come the little fiddly bits.

Step 1 is to build the base upon which the compass pointer can spin (yeah, it spins...more on that later). The key to this is the toothpick you use. The directions say 'cut it at 1.5 cm'. Well, I couldn't find a metric ruler in my house (not that I looked very hard). So, a little math, worked out to approximately .59 inches. So, I scored my toothpick on all sides, then ...well, the first time, I pushed really hard, and the toothpick end shot somewhere across the room. The SECOND time, I picked up the toothpick and broke it on the score line.

Remember I said it can spin? Now it's later. When they said 1.5 cm, they MEANT 1.5 cm. Even a smidge more and your compass pointer (which is actually a disc) is pinned against the angle indicator, and doesn't spin very well.

The directions state you should make the cone with rests on the toothpick, and then on a LEVEL surface, glue the compass pointer disc on it so that it also is level. Well, this is non-trivial. The cone was not a pure cone, which could be my failure...and gluing the disc on a level plane was basically non-trivial and for my purposes not really necessary, since I'm not intending to use it for real.

Next is attaching the static pointer (gnomon) and its support beams to the base of the compass. A point about the support beams. I glued them on according to the directions...and they didn't reach their attachment points. So I had to carefully cut the supports off and reglue a smidge (be VERY precise about this smidge) further out. But, then it stuck just fine.

The last steps were to attach the hinge on the back, and the latch on the front. The hinge didn't quite cover all the white indicating where to glue it. Again, probably was my inaccuracy. I just figured out that I didn't follow the directions for the latch, which explains why it didn't glue properly.

Anyway, 4 pics of the completed model:

Front, closed:
    [​IMG]

Back, closed:
    [​IMG]

Inside top, open:
    [​IMG]

Inside bottom, open:
    [​IMG]

[EDIT: Finally got the pictures working.]
  3. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I built this model for a costume party, everyone was convinced that it was wood or plastic and didn't believe that I had made it. Mine took a bit of tweaking but I managed to make the pointer spin very nicely and it even looks as though it turns of its own accord. All in a ll a very nice model with good fit and very convincing when finished. Thanks trader sam. spot the obvious mistake inside the top lid!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I built this model for a costume party, everyone was convinced that it was wood or plastic and didn't believe that I had made it. Mine took a bit of tweaking but I managed to make the pointer spin very nicely and it even looks as though it turns of its own accord. All in a ll a very nice model with good fit and very convincing when finished. Thanks trader sam. spot the obvious mistake inside the top lid!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. hpept

hpept Member

Great looking model gt5500. But that mistake on the cap is really a punch in the eye :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: just kidding!!!
    Really, when the compass is open, it's very difficult to know it's made out of paper.
  6. hpept

hpept Member

Great looking model gt5500. But that mistake on the cap is really a punch in the eye :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: just kidding!!!
    Really, when the compass is open, it's very difficult to know it's made out of paper.
  7. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I wasn't happy when I made the mistake but I was in hurry, I made it in only a few hours.
  8. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I wasn't happy when I made the mistake but I was in hurry, I made it in only a few hours.
  9. bugman72

bugman72 Member

I made the compass about a month ago for my Capt. Jack costume that I will be wearing once again this Halloween. Very nice model by Trader Sam and is a piece that will definitely get some comments.
  10. bugman72

bugman72 Member

I made the compass about a month ago for my Capt. Jack costume that I will be wearing once again this Halloween. Very nice model by Trader Sam and is a piece that will definitely get some comments.
  11. speedless

speedless Member

Hi
    Thanks for sharing this,very nice to build.
    the only problem i encountered was when my niece discovered it!
    KIDNAPPED!
    I guess i just have to make some more.
    pics of my version:
    Jan

Attached Files:

12. Trader Sam

Trader Sam Member

Well, I'm glad you all enjoy it. The spinner inside the compass is based on the prop from the first film. The second film, which shows a detailed view, has a different spinner design. As soon as I get my hands on the DVD, you can expect the new spinner design to be released shortly afterward.