Discrimination at Superbowl, or Money Makes You Above The LAW?

Closing the Super Bowl discussion

Sorry, but I have to say that closing the Super Bowl (prudishness) discussion was an overreaction. I was about to come down on Will's side, and agree with him whole-heartedly on the misplaced, so-called "morality" the thought police seem to be foisting upon us in the States (and probably elsewhere.)

BillS

jon-monon

Sorry, Bill, I reported the thread as gauge members appeared to not be respectful of each other and in violation of our guidlines. I would rather see the rare closing of a thread than have us upset with one another. You are free to carry out the conversation using PM or e-mail.

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by rockislandmike
Easy answer: the streaker was trespassing; Janet was being paid to perform. **THAT** is the difference.
Actually, way I heard it he too was being paid to preform, just not by CBS or MTV. And now CBS says they fired MTV. MTV and CBS are both owned by Viacom. So that would be like you firing yourself. You know we need to stay alert on this kind of stuff or we are all gonna find our way of life is over. I predict some kids will get in trouble this week for immatating JT and ripping girls blouses off. Monkey see monkey do. If the cops would have done their duty and arrested them on the spot children would of seen what happens when you break the law. As the situation currently exists they think it's OK because they seen it on TV and nothing happened. Remember, this wasn't cable TV, pay per view, it was broadcast TV on the most watched show in Television. Grade schoolers were watching. FRED

Will_annand

Jon,

there was no disrespect intended on my part and I percieved none to be directed toward myself.

We were discussing, I thought maturely, the differences in culture between different nations.

I realise that name calling between members is frowned upon and that sometimes off topic threads do go astray.

BUT remember, any member who does not like how a discussion is going is free to ignore the remainder of the thread and let those who want to share opinions and discussions continue to do so, as long as no one is directly attacked.

These are just my opinions and not an "attack" on your actions, it is after all your forum and if you deem that a topic should not be discussed, I will respect that.

Mike R

Originally posted by jon-monon
.... gauge members appeared to not be disrespectful of each other.......
:confused:

They were TOO, Jon....:eek:ops:.....you are getting mighty hard to please....:wave:
;) ;)
regards,
Mike

I just wished I hadn't missed out on the Janet Thread...I wanted to assure everyone the whole thing WAS railroad related....I believe she was only doing a pantomime impression of the front of a Henry Dreyfuss streamlined NYC 4-6-4 Hudson.
...right ?

Will_annand

Originally posted by Tileguy
And this relates to trains and modeling in what way??

I thought this was being discussed in the "General Talk" area, which is supposed to be for subjects not directly related to model railroading.

No offense Tileguy, but you do have the freedom to ignore the remainder of this discussion if you wish and let those of us who wish to discuss it do so.

Will_annand

Originally posted by Mike R

I just wished I hadn't missed out on the Janet Thread...I wanted to assure everyone the whole thing WAS railroad related....I believe she was only doing a pantomime impression of the front of a Henry Dreyfuss streamlined NYC 4-6-4 Hudson.
...right ?

A Henry Dreyfuss... :confused:

I thought it looked familiar :thumb:

jon-monon

Jon,

there was no disrespect intended on my part and I percieved none to be directed toward myself.

We were discussing, I thought maturely, the differences in culture between different nations.

I realise that name calling between members is frowned upon and that sometimes off topic threads do go astray.

BUT remember, any member who does not like how a discussion is going is free to ignore the remainder of the thread and let those who want to share opinions and discussions continue to do so, as long as no one is directly attacked.

These are just my opinions and not an "attack" on your actions, it is after all your forum and if you deem that a topic should not be discussed, I will respect that.

If anyone wishes to have the particulars of what you may have posted that I viewed as lacking respect for others, I will be happy to discuss it with the author by PM or e-mail.

It's a judgement call, folks, we try very hard to keep the-gauge a happy place, and a the same time with as much freedom as possible. The-gauge is a great place because of it's users.

quote:Originally posted by jon-monon
.... gauge members appeared to not be disrespectful of each other.......

They were TOO, Jon.........you are getting mighty hard to please....

LOL OK I edited out the double negative.

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by rockislandmike
Easy answer: the streaker was trespassing; Janet was being paid to perform. **THAT** is the difference.
At this time I would also like to point out language and word meaning and how the media attempts to influence people by the words they use. When I first seen the "streaker" from the wording and blurring of his crotch area I assumed he was naked. He was NOT. He was wearing a jock, so he wasn't a streaker. I agree that he shouldn't of entered the field, but the footage of the cops taking him down was brutal cop street justice it appeared to me. FRED

ezdays

Out AZ way
Jon,

I would hope that you or anyone else didn't take my example as negative towards anyone or the laws of the country they live in. I worded my responses very carefully in that respect, but still tried to get my point across. I attacked or belittled no one.

But, this may come as a surprise, as prudish as I may sound, I am really pro-breast,... as you put it. I'm just not for world-wide in-your-face (pun intended) display of such and in the manner that it was done. I think it was the planning, the intent and the lies afterwards that made this so hard to accept. And to think they have manipulated us so that we are taking time to discuss it.

Vic

Awww....what the heck!...Jon did the right thing.....The Superbowl half time show was "a bust" anyway!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

F

Fred_M

Are we talking about the thread I started? Looks to me like it's still open. FRED

shamus

Registered Member
Originally posted by Will_annand

I thought this was being discussed in the "General Talk" area, which is supposed to be for subjects not directly related to model railroading.

It is, and you are right, -- it is for General Talk.

This is only a friendly reminder for everyone to be respectful to each other in this forum.

Shamus

Will_annand

You are correct Shamus and I always try to be respectful, we were merely discussing differences in the way certain countries would view the topic.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Come on guys! The world needs to lighten up! All Janet Jackson did was prove the known statement.........TV is a boob tube!:D :D :D