Disappearing act, Part II

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Is anybody else having problems with posting replies to threads? For the second time in as many days, I have composed replies which required a fair amount of research and a considered approach to presentation, only to have them disappear when I attempted to post them. A message appeared which indicated that I was not logged in, even though I had logged in and that fact was noted on the screen.

Wayne

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
doctorwayne said:
Is anybody else having problems with posting replies to threads? For the second time in as many days, I have composed replies which required a fair amount of research and a considered approach to presentation, only to have them disappear when I attempted to post them. A message appeared which indicated that I was not logged in, even though I had logged in and that fact was noted on the screen.

Wayne
That's a new one on me. I've not had any problems posting other than a few times the server was kinda bogged down and when I clicked again it allowed a double post, even though it said it wouldn't. We will leave this in Mikey's capable hands as soon as he comes on line. He might be able to spot a problem. Meanwhile I might suggest that you reset your cache and cookies to see if that helps any. Apparently it works sometimes for you or you wouldn't be able to post this.:thumb: :D :thumb:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Don, I have a suspicion that I may be "timing out": as noted, I was reading research material and trying to edit/organize it to suit my reply. However, I've not had this problem in the past, despite my often long replies and slow typing skills. I did manage to redo the reply in question, but it does make me a bit wary of investing too much time to make a contribution.

Wayne

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
doctorwayne said:
Don, I have a suspicion that I may be "timing out": as noted, I was reading research material and trying to edit/organize it to suit my reply. However, I've not had this problem in the past, despite my often long replies and slow typing skills. I did manage to redo the reply in question, but it does make me a bit wary of investing too much time to make a contribution.

Wayne
Wayne,

There is no need to "time out". You can stay logged on forever without any ill effects. Since I'm on here many times during the day, I just stay logged on, that way I am not forced to relog after a time period.

Oh, it's probably too late now, but you could have recovered your lost work by simply hitting the "back" button on your browser once or twice. :rolleyes: You should be taken back to your composition. Just keep that in mind it case it happens again.:D

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Don, I tried using the back button, but to no avail. Oh, well, the one that I lost yesterday was so long that it probably wouldn't have been read anyway.:rolleyes: You know that you can always count on me to find new ways to screw-up.

Wayne

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
When I post something which needs quite a lot of work I always write the text in Notepad and I prepare all the pics first (trimming, resizing...) in a Graphics Program like Irfan Viewer.
Copying and pasting all that stuff into the Gauge editor then is a short affair. I got wise since I also lost about a good hours work due to a sudden hangup of my browser.:curse:

Ron

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
doctorwayne said:
Don, I tried using the back button, but to no avail. Oh, well, the one that I lost yesterday was so long that it probably wouldn't have been read anyway.:rolleyes: You know that you can always count on me to find new ways to screw-up.

Wayne
I usually use the right mouse button menu to go back. I have, as others have done, copied to the clipboard, and in an extra-long post or one that requires a bit of research, I have used Word to compose in. The only thing I don't like about that is that when you paste from word, sometime a single CR in Word will result in a bunch of them here when you paste. Also, The Gauge editor doesn't recognize tabs and extra spaces, so if you have any formatting done in Word, you have to play with the formatting again after you paste.:cry:

You are correct about long posts, it's a good rule to keep them as brief as you can. If you have a lot to say, you can dribble it out in several posts and it stands a better chance of it all being read. Add some pictures, that always works to keep people's attention. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

:D :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Dang I hate when that happens! :( :( That stinks doctorwayne!!! :(

All the suggestions that have been posted above should be followed..... Keep yourself logged in all the time .. (The ONLY computer that can automatically sign in is the original one you click "Remember me" on). If I come in from work I have to sign in :(

If you are posting more than 2 paragraphs, put it into MS word, or even in an e-mail first.... Then copy & paste it here. (ctrl a - ctrl c to copy all --- then ctrl V to paste) :) :)

Do NOT format it ---- use the enter key as your only format tool... Until after you paste it into the reply (or post) space here - then use the tabs etc :)

This is the only time I have had any trouble (other than The Gauge being slow) is when I post a long post.

Taylor

Dec 24, 2005
A friend of mine uses this same software on his bodybuilding site. Some of his users have said the same thing about being logged out unexpectedly. I believe it may have something to do with VBulletin, HOWEVER, it seems more people are having problems when using Firefox as their browser, but some Internet Explorer users have been having similar issues. Doesn't seem like the IE users are seeing it with the frequency that Firefox users are. He believes that it is a cookie issue and is looking into that.

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Well one thing that can sure make a mess of cookies is your computer's date and clock.

User changes to cookie handling preferences under both IE and any of the Moz browsers.

Then we have all of the blunders that the server side scripts can have ;-) what's that you say? Mistookies in the cookie maker on the server, surely ye are funning me. Yes folks plenty of possible messups have been found in server side code.

Various versions of several browsers have had mistooks in cookie handling.

Always something when wetware writes software to control hardware sign1 .