Dirty Jobs Working On the Railroad

csxt30

Sep 30, 2005
No, I went back to the game ! Must have missed the RR part, all they're doing is making food over there !!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Instead of breaking your back with those tongs trying to pull those ties out from underneath the rails, how come they don't come up with some sort of gimmic to hook on to the bucket of that little tractor and just drag 'em out?.... & use the same method for sliding the new ones back in. Let the machine do the work. Seems like a no brainer to me. If you use jacks to lift up the rails on both sides so that you can slide the new tie out/in, wouldn't you be loosening all the other spikes in that immediate area?

toolman

Mar 23, 2005
east brunswick nj
I saw that segment and i tip my hat to the rr track gang.It is hard work no matter what the weather is.
This can be a very interesting layout scene, like a siding or a team track to actually replacing rotted out rr ties no matter what period modeling in.
Dirty jobs program is my favorite, my wife hates it because to her it is gross.:D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
TrainNut said:
Instead of breaking your back with those tongs trying to pull those ties out from underneath the rails, how come they don't come up with some sort of gimmic to hook on to the bucket of that little tractor and just drag 'em out?.... & use the same method for sliding the new ones back in. Let the machine do the work. Seems like a no brainer to me. If you use jacks to lift up the rails on both sides so that you can slide the new tie out/in, wouldn't you be loosening all the other spikes in that immediate area?
I have a feeling that they do just that. I also think that when they have the "Dirty jobs" cameras rolling, they don't want to make the job look too easy.

The few times I've watched this show, I've made sure my dinner has been well digested first. :rolleyes: Shows like the one about making pig slop out of Las Vegas restaurant waste will spoil anyone's appetite.peasoup aussie peasoup

toolman

Mar 23, 2005
east brunswick nj
Like I said, I love this show, get agood laugh, but my wife hates it.
It only goes to show that there are jobs that are not fit for humans, but.... someone has to do it
sign1 :D

My hats off to the people who work these jobs.