Diorama- Opinions...

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Evening All!
This is N scale. On we go...
I've decided to do one of those Dioramas as my first scenic try. Now being a country fella I like to do the Urban Scene. Nice to visit, just not my place to live;). Plus, I grew up not far from Cleveland, Ohio; and now Tampa, Florida. Soooo... My question being: On my base of foam should I put the rails on a roadbed (cork, WS Foam, etc.)? Or just plant it on the base? Now the rail lines are Branchlines, Spurs, etc. No Mains.
I did think about digging a trench that would place the rails at ground level, while still having a sub-roadbed.
This is sticking to me 'cause it seems it would be easier later on to pull up the track and put other in; Say I do Atlas snap now, then try my hand at Handlay later. Plus, it would allow me to put it in my "Big" layout.:rolleyes: Maybe use it as an Access Hatch. Whacha' all think?!:D

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Hey Sir_Prize, I don't know if you have looked at any of the pic's I have posted in the N-Scale forum or not. I use Peco code 55 track and Peco #6 or medium switches. For the mainline I put down AMI Instant Roadbed (self adhesive) for the branch and spurs I laid the track directly on the blueboard (stryofoam) using Elmers white glue. After ballasting it I coat the ballast with a 50/50 mixture of Elmer's and water. Let it set overnight. If you want to change it or pull it up to resuse later (be it the next day or the next decade) just spray with warm water and let set for a few minutes and it will come up. I don't use Atlas because (to me) it's too toy like. I don't handlay because I think today's flextrack looks better, is faster and a h*ll of a lot easier that handlaying (especially in N-Scale). I would recomend painting your track flat black to make it look closer to scale. Just my 2 cents worth, hope it is of some help. Whatever you do good luck and keep us posted with pictures. :D

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Sir_Prize, What size will your module be? Any chance of posting pics as it progresses?
I'm beginning to wish now I had started my N gauge layout before my HO layout! :(

As for your track bed, if you feel you will change the trackage configuration, I would have thought track can be uplifted more easily if it's laid directly onto the foam using water based glue.

If you ever feel you want to handlay N trackage make certain you have more patience than Jobe .. :) :) I handlaid 3ft of HOn3 on a mahogany display. (Thank goodness it was only 3 ft)!! Flexitrack is the way to go my friend.

Do post updates and let us know how it's going.

Errol

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Ken,
For industrial track, definitely lay it directly on the foam.
Here's what somer of my industrial track looks like...Not a real good pic, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• mvc-009f.jpg
    mvc-009f.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 162

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Hmmm... OK... straight to the foam, with water-based glue. Oh ya!:rolleyes:
The dim's. It's 14"x13," actually a piece of foam that protected an old 13" monitor. Working on getting space from my Provider for a website, I remeber them saying sometin' 'bout 5 megs free. That should do me fine.
Anyways... I have set to have one trackage going from corner to corner diagonal, and another straight across at one end( the longer size). It will appear that just out-of-sight the two trackages cross. Than an old brick factory/warehouse mets the straight track with a wooden dock. The diag track is met by a "new" cement loading/trucking dock that mates with the "new" factory/warehouse that crosses the opposite edge. Toss in some roadage to each building, but not crossing the track. Perhaps a few "direlict" trees around, some sparse/course grass, and some fencing and barrels behind the "new" place. Hmmm... Ya! Hope ya' get the visual idea.:D

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Sir_Prize

I'd use Peco code 55 The diamentions you gave 13x14 If you use Atlas flex it will look toyish.

I think that once you get started you'll find that 13x14 is going to be too small for what you want Maybe cut the sheet in half so it would be 7x26 then you' have more lengh for track and room for a loco and some cars.Just a thought.

Look around in here and you'll see a diarama I cant remember who has it I think Its 12x60 He put alot of detail in this little space.I'll see if I can find it.
Shane

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Sir_Prize,

The site I was refering to is Charlies You can find the link to his web site if you go to Modeling HO ,then to Picking on the little guys.

The diamentions are 13x60 not 12x60 He has done a beautiful job in this little space.

I've thought of doing a diarama but I had a need for long trains.

Shane

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Shane,
The "diorama" you mention (pictured in my post above) is actually a working N scale switching layout...I do use Peco code 55 track.
I glued it directly on the foam, & ballasted it with mostly dirt, & some Woodland Scenics cinders. I was trying to get the look of poorly maintained industrial track.
I did build the layout like a diorama...it has a backdrop on three sides, valance, & facia boards, & lighting. I was trying to acheive a look like you might see in a museum-type display.
The hole in the left rear is for trains to enter, & leave the scene, & will soon be hidden by the urban scenery.

Attachments

• mvc-002f.jpg
    mvc-002f.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 135

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I'll use them. After all... The reason I'm doing this is to practice. It's kinda my way of doing the Woodland Scenics Scenery and Sub-Terrain Kit, without the kit.;)

It's coming along, I'll see about posting pics in a bit.:D

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Sir_Prize,

I've been practicing for eight years and still havent completed a lay-out,The one I'm working on now is the longest standing to date.1 year and 1 month.I've only ripped up one small town so I figure I'm not doing bad. I know what I want to do then I see somthing else I like and try to incorparate it into the existing layout.

Good-Luck

Shane

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's a little N scale diorama I built a couple of years ago...it's tiny...about 5" deep, 18" wide, & 9" tall. It's an open box with a backdrop painted on the back.
Dioramas are great learning tools, since they can be built for very little money, very little time, & can encompass several asspects of model railroading.
This, for me, was a study in scenery, decaling, weathering, & backdrop painting...

Attachments

• diorama.jpg
    diorama.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 77