Digitrax Zypher?

Jim T

I've got the Zypher and it works great for me. However, I don't have anything to compare it to as I just got into model railroading last fall. I have it on a 4 x 8 and don't see any problem expanding it.

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim, I too am a latecomer to the hobby. Do you have any reverse loop's on your layout, and if so were there any dificulties in relation to short circuiting? Thanks again..:)

Jim T

No reverse loops yet, but as I understand it there is automatic reversing electronics to help this situation.

Jim

davidstrains

There are modules available from Digitrax as well as a couple other distributors for short circuit and reverse loop control. The digitrax unit is a DPM42. Each DPM-42 has 4 sections which can be configured as short circuit protection for 4 power districts, or set up to do automatic reversing on 4 reverse loops or any combination thereof. I am using 2 of the modules, configured for 5 power district s/c protection, 1 reversing section for my turntable and 1 additional s/c protection for the turntable.

Thanks David

Thank you David for the reply It was just what I was hoping to find, I will be ordering the Zephyr soon along with the necessary decoder,s. Thank's again :cool: :cool:

Blake

I also have been looking into the Zypher and I think it looks like a pretty good deal. With those reversing units, stay away from the MRC ones if you run allot of steam. Gary Pfeil had them and they caused problems with his steam locos.

MRC

Hi Blake, thanks for the input. " I don't run any steam at this time", but I will stay with digitrax decoders anyway. Thanks again for the heads up. :)

Gary Pfeil

I don't have the Zephyr, I have the chief, but the Zephyr has the ability to readback CV's like the Chief, which is a big advantage. It's output is limited to 2.5 amps, rather than the more usual 5 amps. Depending on how many locos you want to run at once, this may or may not be a factor. Of course, boosters can be added. In regard to reverse loops, as Blake mentioned I advise to avoid the MRC modules. I now use the ones from Tony"s ( www.ttx-dcc.com ) They work great. I haven't used the ones from Digitrax, I don't want to have to program them.