Digitrax Zephyr & older MRC decoders

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
OK, I've been through every page of the DCC forum and can't find what I'm looking for.

I have had an MRC Command 2000 DCC system and handheld controller for about the past 6 years and, while I love the system, I have just outgrown it. So I recently treated myself to a Digitrax Zephyr system with two UT-4 Throttles. All I can say is WOW. I run a lot of multiple consists and can't believe how easy it is on this system.

The problem is much (like 60%) of my loco fleet uses older MRC AD310 decoders and the Digitrax system won't read the older decoders in order to program them (getting a "d nA" error). I can write an address in PAGED mode, and they seem to be programming (lights flash, motor hum) but when I put it on the main track - nothing. Is there a way to just write the CV's to the decoder without reading them? I'm still working my way through all the manuals, but am so far coming up with zilch. Or am I just doing something wrong? The AD310 decoders are 28 step decoders. I will convert my locos to digitrax if I have to, but at this point I'm looking at some serious bucks. That's a lot of decoders to buy at once.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
Thanks Thoroughbreed, a combination of your link and a little more sleuthing did the trick. I had to manually set the first 8 CV's, then set the system to 28 steps and that worked. At least now I'm not forced to shell out for 22 more decoders. If I want to change them out, I can do so a little at a time. I could not find any information on the Physical mode in the instruction manual, and that turned out to be the magic talisman.
Thanks again.:thumb: