Digitrax Infrared

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Is anyone using the Digitrax Infrared wireless? How do you like it? Any problems?

I am considering using it since the throttles come with infrared built in.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Used them at the modular club. Much prefer radio for a wireless option. Our set-ups are rather large, and the infra-red is kind of limited. Think of it as a TV remote - about the same range, and line-of-sight (or equivalent bouncing off glass/mirrors) is required. I suppose if you want, you could put in the receiver/repeaters you can get for hom eentertainment, but you'd have to price that against going to radio.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
One thing to consider - if you do go IR, mount the receiver up abov ethe layout where you can get a good line of sight to it. If you mount it on the facia, chances are someone will be standing in the way just when you need to stop!

Andrew

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I'm thinking it would be cheaper to buy, say 3 of the IR receivers and mount them around the room and use the regular throttles than to go with the radio receiver and radio throttles.

If the radio throttles are tremendously better, then I will spend the extra money, but if the IR is acceptable, I will go that route. I probably won't ever happen more than 3 operators running trains at a time. And most of the time, just me.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I use the IR and like it. I've never used radio but believe it would be better. I have an "E" shaped layout with a ceiling height backdrop down the center peninsula, I installed two IR receivers in the fascia above the top level at the ends of each aisle, and a third on the lower fascia on the outside edge not against a wall. You do need to get in the habit of pointing the IR end of the throttle in the general direction of the receiver. I think it has good coverage. I went IR because I wanted several throttles, I have 5, and the radio throttles are quite a bit more, as is the receiver, tho 3 IR's are about the same. I do have UP5's all around the layout as well, you need them to select locos with either system, and when my 9 volt batteries get low, I can operate no problem. I've gotten lazy and not bought batteries and just run plugged in, moving from one jack to another, and now wonder if being completely wireless is such a big deal.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Thanks for the comments. I think I will go with the infrared route, plus I'll add in some UP5s for easy tethered operation.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I've got the NCE wireless (not IR) throttle, and I'm not sure of it yet. You only need the one receiver, of course. However, I've found that when it loses the plot, it really loses the plot, and it's like your internet connection when it plays up. Hang everything up, and start again to get it to connect.

It may be something I'm doing, and I'm yet to find an optimal position for the reciever aerial, as I've just got it sitting beside the main unit at the mo. I think it may need to be elevated a bit.